Hatfield Appeal

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by stevetrom, Jun 5, 2015.

1. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

http://www.4barsrest.com/news/detail.asp?id=20416#.VXFtP89VhBc

what is this about?

Sounds like a worrying development if a band is looking into "external channels", I can only think they mean a legal challenge, to overturn their disqualification from the Area contest.

anyone know more about this case?

The rule in question is

9. a) All players taking part in the Contest must be registered with only ONE accreditedRegistry at least 7 days before the Friday of the contest weekend and may only competewith the band that holds their Registration. It is the responsibility of the band secretary toapply to the relevant registry for the necessary registration documentation and to complywith the Registry Rules and procedures

2. midlandman

midlandman Member

From other threads on this site some bands appear to have sent registrations off in plenty of time but the turn around time seems to have missed the cut off date.
    i may be completely out with this but could be a reason.

3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Checking back, the news sources (e.g. 4BR last week) say that they "had played an unregistered player". There have certainly been a few bands at the areas in the last couple of years that have had grief with new registrations that they had thought had been sent off in plenty of time, but for whatever reasons missed the registration deadline. We had to drop a player at late notice last year when the L&SC committee were kind enough to notify us that, despite our postage being on time, one of our players hadn't been registered in time with BBPL. Others went on stage with a player in that position and got disqualified; but few of those were as unlucky as Hatfield, losing a title, a finals appearance, and a promotion all at the same moment. I can see why they'd be immensely fed up about it, so immensely fed up that they might be willing to throw money at legal action.

But sueing over a band contest disqualification is an iffy business that can cause unexpected and damaging echoes down the years... Just ask Wrexham Brass, who took their 1997 2nd section Nationals disqualification (after being declared winners) to court. They won a ruling stating that the disqualification was incorrect, but weren't able to get the result reinstated. Then I don't think I'm saying anything controversial in pointing out that attitudes bred from that played a major part in the events around their two-year ban from the Welsh area following the 2011 contest - indeed, various principals in that controversy were as I recall active on here in alleging connections. And now where are they? I'm not even certain that the band is still going.

I rather hope that "external channels" does not refer to the legal system. Everybody involved loses in that type of situation.

4. midlandman

midlandman Member

Very valid points
    didnt a band in the Midlands take the committee to court a few years ago and got a non-helpful judgement