Has your band written its history?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by mattthebass, Sep 27, 2013.

1. mattthebass

mattthebass Member

Hi All,

I'm a keen reader of bands history's, but I'm finding it increasing hard to find new material to read. I've got over 60 books covering the large to the small band. Have you or do you know someone whose's written down the history of your band or bands in general, published or not. I'm not fussy on how it's presented, a handwritten manuscript to a beautifully bound volume is fine!

If you do have one I'll cover any copying costs and postage.

Many thanks

Matt

2. DRW

DRW New Member

Hi Matt. Someone did it for our band a few years ago and self-published it. PM your email address and I'll send you a pdf copy.

3. mattthebass

mattthebass Member

Hi DRW,

Many thanks, I've PM my address. Matt

4. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Both the Bon'ess bands (Unison Kinneil, Bo'ness & Carriden) published books to coincide with their 150th anniversaries in 2008. Check their websites or Facebook pages to see details of how to obtain them.

5. tubadaz

tubadaz Member

There was one done for the Rowntree Brass Band (now Shepherd Group) Centenary in 2003, there's probably a couple left at the band room. I'm sure if you email our Senior Band Manager, on sb@shepherdgroupbrassband.co.uk, he'd be more than happy to provide you with one! :)

6. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

Not an official history as such, but recollections and anecdotes from one player who served with Epsom & Ewell for 70-odd years - details at http://eesb.org.uk/resources.php (scroll down)

7. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Wingates are about to release a book on their 140 year history. The launch is on October 26th at their celebratory concert in Victoria Hall in Bolton.

8. halsasaurus

halsasaurus Member

There is the original Joseph Hampson Biography of Besses o'th' Barn Band that covers 1818 - 1892. There are original copies knocking around on the Web but we have had it republished on Lulu and it is not expensive (I have seen an original being advertised on the web recently for £75 which I thought was a bit ambitious and they misspelt the Bands Name as Blesses). Try http://www.lulu.com/product/15910220
    There is a lot on the Besses website www.besses.co.uk and also a lot on the facebook group https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/6276172996/ if you search through the Images and Documents section
    We are updating all the research at the moment with the view to producing an Updated Besses Biography in time for the Bands Bicentenary year. This will include transcripts of many players diaries from the Historic World tours in the early 1900's with Alexander Owen and J. Henry Iles
    Steve

9. Euphman2

Euphman2 Member

I am in possession of a cassette tape with details of the early(ish) history of Lees and Glodwick band (Glodwick band 1873, then Oldham Brass 97, now Oldham Band Lees). It was recorded by Frank Mills, who played trombone in the RAF during the war (WW2) and conducted the band as a guest when I was playing for them in the 70s.

10. GeoffH

GeoffH New Member

Is this a Frank Mills who played trombone for Sandhurst Silver in the late 1960s, at leat up to 1970? I played solo cornet then, and the solo trombone was a northener named Frank Mills.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    small band
    keen reader of bands history
    thanksMatt
    copying costs
    postage
  12. Euphman2

Euphman2 Member

I presume so. He moved south before I was born (1959) and my father tells me he failed to start a brass band down south then but went into jazz/big band groups

13. mattthebass

mattthebass Member

That's a very precious item. It could do with transferring to a CD to make sure it isn't lost. And when you do could I have a copy please!

14. mattthebass

mattthebass Member

Damn it I paid £95 for my copy! Yes I am obsessed with banding books! The new history you're working on sounds extremely interesting, I'll keep an eye out for that.

15. mattthebass

mattthebass Member

many thanks to all that have replied. I think all bands should keep a little diary or write up their achievements every few years. It's fantastic to look back on and you'd be amazed what you forget so quickly. thanks again.