Has the Time for Dr Nick to gracefully step aside at Dyke?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by kingsmessenger, Mar 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingsmessenger

kingsmessenger New Member

After the result at the Area, is it time for a change of leadership at Dyke?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2011
  2. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

This is absolute tosh and nonsense - this mania about contesting is going to kill this movement!

3. andybass

andybass Member

Dyke are still a fantastic band with a great conductor. It is no disgrace to get beat by the calibre of bands from yesterday.they will I am sure re group and come out fighting at Preston

4. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

This is a legitimate topic for debate, imo.
    The clout Dyke have to attract the best players will always put them in good stead to recover after a lean spell, the much publicised changes in personnel were in my opinion for the medium to long term, and I don`t think the trustees and/or management of the band will be too peturbed with the odd rogue result at this stage.

5. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Someone made the analogy between Dyke and Man. U. and, picking up on that comment, I don't recall a cry for the head of Sir Alex when United lost to Wolves a few weeks ago!!! The reality is you can't win them all; it doesn't matter who you are. On that particular day I recall reading that Sir Alex said that Wolves deserved their win.

I'm not really interested in any Dr. bashing but I am intrigued to hear about the performances. Did Dyke deserve their placing; did the other bands deserve theirs; was the B&R performance an absolute stunner? If you were there, what were your thoughts from that perspective?

6. bariwizard

bariwizard Member

Maybe the OP should use the search facility to find the countless other threads in the same style, that after much going round in circles conclude that Dr Nick's record speaks for itself. Also, one loss off a no.1 draw does not constitute a massive crisis after a reasonable 2010 season.
    I heard all the bands in the prizes, and for me they were out in front by a decent if not huge margin. D King and B&R seem to be attracting a lot of hype at the moment, but I think time will tell just as it did with YBS, leaving Dyke and the Dr top of the pile.:clap:

7. The Godfather

The Godfather Member

I WAS THERE, and I believe that B&R were clear winners, but The Dyke were better than their placing. CORLEONE.:cool:.

8. BarneyEuph

BarneyEuph Member

I was also there for all performances and concur with this.

9. The Godfather

The Godfather Member

Good for you BARNEYEUPH, at least two of us got it right, (plus the old boys in the box) That must be a (FIRST).

10. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

OK folks, after a bit of discussion we have decided that this is a valid topic for discussion. However you may have noticed I have deleted a substantial number of posts and also heavily edited the original post in order to keep the thread on topic and to remove the personal insults, aimed both at Black Dyke personnel and other people.

Rest assured we will be watching the way this thread progresses very, very closely and reserve the right to remove it, without warning or notice should we feel it is getting out of hand, off topic or is being used as a mechanism to insult.

To that end, here is a reminder of some of our rules (from
    tMP rules and guidelines) - we will be applying these very literally in this case:

Content:
    Please do not post topics or replies or PM's containing:

• Flames directed towards other users (these will be locked on sight, possibly with a temporary ban).
    • Derogatory or offensive comments about tMP members & non tMP members.
    • Anything not relating to the original subject of the topic (although General Chat is flexible); Continuous ignoring of this rule, or the ignoring of any 'on-topic' messages by the Mods will result in off-topic posts being deleted on sight.
    • Comments that could be deemed inappropriate or unfair regarding any person, band, contest or competition.
    • Any derogatory comments based on age, gender, race, sexuality, ethnicity or nationality (which will be met with a swift ban!).
    God & Moderators: tMP tries to remain impartial and fair - allowing everyone the right to post their opinions. We run the forum in a 'family friendly' manner ... period. Please respect these guidelines.

• If any theMouthPiece.com Team Member asks you to comply with one of these rules, you must comply.
    • If you argue the rules with a Team Member, you'll be warned, and all members of theMouthPiece.com Teams will be notified.
    • Keep it up, and you'll receive a ban.
    Lastly, if you feel any of the above are being broken, we encourage you to use the 'report post' function and we will deal with it promptly. Responding to flames or insults usually only escalates the situation.

We hope you all appreciate that by allowing this thread we are hoping for an interesting and relevant discussion to develop. If that interesting and relevant discussion is allowed to develop is entirely down to you.

Thanks in anticipation

Ian
    For the tMP team.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Nick
    Dyke
    Time
    Grimethorpe
    MD
  12. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

There are a great many factors which relate to a band and an MD, and whether they both have faith that the partnership between the two will remain fruitful.

None of us who are not associated with Black Dyke band are in posession of the full set of the facts.

As with any MD, the final say is with the band, because the MD is employed by the band comittee - but it's for the band and/or the MD to decide how long his tenure lasts.

To draw Nick Child's own parallel (From his comments on the BBC) Alex Ferguson has had his trophy-less years at Manchester United, and has always come good. The opposite side of the coin is that the best thing Arsenal ever did was make the change and bring in Arsene Wenger.

But it's for the band themselves to decide what the best course of action is as they're the only ones in posession of all the necessary information to make that judgement.

13. fatcontroler

fatcontroler Member

One bad result does not make a bad band. It could easily have been a freak result.......like many are comment about at all contests at all levels.

To get beaten by a Kingy band is something that most, if not all, have to get used to. 5th is a gap though, and if the results do not improve in the next year then the committee will no doubt have to look, but I would imagine a conductor of that standing would rather walk than be pushed

14. Tubazz

Tubazz Member

If there had been a different two men in the box,would we have had the same result ? maybe Dyke would have won then this would not be a topic for discussion, it is only the adjudictors opinion,on that day ,it does not mean the end of Dyke or the conductor ,

15. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

top post well said:tup:clap:

16. Who would they replace him with? is there anybody better on a regular basis, should Dyke go back down the "professional" route. Its a tough old contest the yorkshire area! As already said its on the day.

17. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

I agree, and it's good to know that name bands are subject to the same rules as the rest of us. (I'm not sure I agree with the pre-qualify rule, but that's another topic!!)

As for whether it is time for a change at Dyke, I would say no, based on their record over the last few years, but it's not my call! :) Dyke win their fair share of contests, but, you can't win them all.. all of the time.. :)

18. iRyan

iRyan Member

A few people have said "one bad result", but have people been forgetting about last years season? 4th at the areas and europeans, 8th at the nationals, and not one win since the 2009 National Finals?

With that being said though, they've been on worse runs with Dr Childs (2002-2004?) and then went back on to being the Black Dyke we all know, I don't think there's a much better option over the conductor they have right now.

19. foxy bingo

foxy bingo New Member

Alan Withington would be a great signing. Better conductor, better interpretations a true trainer of bands. As opposed to being just a conductor. My favourite band are talented but raw. Time for a real teacher to take the helm. Can we stop this silly Alex Ferguson stuff. That was a ill judged comment. My beloved man u are a one off. Most big name football teams sack their coach after 1 blip. Dyke havnt won for a substantial amount of time. I'm sure it hasn't gone unoticed by the powers that be at queensbury.

20. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Not that I am advocating replacing Dr. Nick, a man I have the utmost respect for, but there is one candidate who is riding the crest of a wave right now with everything he touches seemingly turning to gold.

It will be an odd National final without Dyke (and Grimey) and I hope they are back to their very best soon.

21. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I don't recall there being all this nonsense when Dyke came 13th in 2003 ... ???

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Nick
    Dyke
    Time
    Grimethorpe
    MD
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.