Has Plod got nothing better to do?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by JessopSmythe, Jun 8, 2005.

1. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Or is THIS just political correctness gone nuts?

2. Di

Di Active Member

Thats just stooooooopid!

3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I think this brings up two problems in society, one with the media, and one with individuals' behaviours in general.

First of all, the title of this article is very misleading. The Mirror have gone out of their way (which I often see in these types of tabloid papers), to make an issue that doesn't appear to be there.

The bloke was fined for "causing harassment, alarm or distress." Is this really because he said the police horse was gay, or because he was steamed up and "shouting" at a police horse repeatedly even after being warned? I don't think authorities should have to sit by passively when people get out of hand and disrespectful just because they've had a few too many bevies.

Secondly, I think in general authority figures (police, TEACHERS, etc...) make resonable requests of people to help maintain order and are ignored because people feel they have certain rights. Now maybe people do have the right to make an a**e of themselves?....but that doesn't mean you should? Too often people are concerned with what they CAN do and what they CAN get away with instead of what they SHOULD do to benefit themselves and others.

rant over

4. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

ditto :rolleyes:

5. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Has Plod got nothing better to do? Well, yes they have, but are prevented from doing it by having to deal with prats like that student! If he'd just been charged with being drunk and disorderly nothing would have appeared in the paper!

There is too much worry, these days, about 'infringing his human rights' or his 'civil liberties' and that is why we have the Yob culture and Anti Social behaviour we do today. Because various organisations have pushed these perceived rights to the detriment of 'the general public'!

People have the right to sleep quietly at night, without having to be woken by a drunk shouting something he thinks is highly amusing at Police Officers on Horseback. He deserves any fine and punishment and should accept that he is/was a prat!

6. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

agreed! :tup

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

8. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

It's not like they hadn't warned him already, as trivial an incident as it may appear it's that very kind of lack of respect for the authorities that has led to the culture of thugs and yobs that we appear to live in today.

If I'd been the bobby that arrested him I'd have given him a good slap for his cheek too. Probably explains why I'm not a bobby.

Good on em I say. :clap: Bet he won't do it again.

9. flower girl

flower girl Member

He's already admitted to shouting after he'd been told not to. He wasn't arrested for calling a horse gay, he was arrested because he'd been told by someone in authority not to do something and deliberately disobeyed this instruction, in my opinion it serves him right for being so cheeky!!!!

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... add charges of drunk and disorderly, breach of the peace, intimidation of law enforcement officer ... he's maybe lucky to get away with a spot fine instead of being taken to court!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    nothing
    correctness
    Plod
    nuts
    political correctness
  12. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Exactly. It drives me mad when kids at school complain at getting in trouble for something quite minor, when I had told them not to do it 30 seconds before. Its not the action its the sticking 2 fingers up at authority.

13. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I'm interested and gratified to see that tMPers are responsiblke adults who realise that people have rights - with which come responsibilities. All too often in this society of ours, the rights are drunkenly yelled for and the reponsibilities are conveniently forgotten.

If he was drunk enough to be shouting abuse at a police horse, he was drunk enough to be causing offence to passers by. If he was asked to be quiet by a member of the police force, he should have had enough wit to obey.

The problem I have with this is the amount of tax-payers' money that is now going to be spent on a court case to sort it out. And also the fact that he is possibly likely to win - or at least his lawyer is.

I give up.

14. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

You're just miffed because they stop you playing on your bike...;)
    BigSisterBadger
    xx

15. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

That is interesting coming from an American. Your constitution tells you exactly what you can do and what rights you have. In Britain we have laws that tell us what we can't do. We don't have a constitution so perhaps this chap was just seeing how far the limit is*

As for a Policeman telling you what to do, would we all jump off a cliff if they told us to do so? I have respect for the authorities but just because they say you should or shouldn't do something doesn't mean they are right. They are there to enforce laws, not create them. If no law is breached (or, as in this case, likely to be breached) then there is nothing they can lawfully do. Whether the person whose behaviour is brought into question should know better is a separate matter.

The last thing we need is Judge Dredd, especially now they have brought in Tazer guns here in the South West.

Igg

*For what it is worth, the bloke was an idiot to antagonise the Police. It was hardly as if he was making a point of principle, more like an alcohol fuelled gag. I bet he wishes he just changed the conversation. He is having to get on his high (gay?) horse protesting his innocence which will only cause him worry, anguish and generally be a waste of his time and tax payers money. Don't forget that he will be automatically entitled to Legal Aid to defend this!!

16. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

That's just taking the michael, personally its something I'd probably do if I was drunk and its obvious the guy is having a laugh, its not like he was throwing stones or anything. How many times have you seen people like this on a night out, getting arrested is just stupid!

At the end of the day I don't much care for political correctness (no doubt mr Sanders will agree with that sentence :p ), alot of it is just stupid and causes alot of problems, this being a prime example.

17. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Can't believe he was out with his mates, and not one of them said "come on mate, don't be a twit..." would have saved a lot of bother!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2005
  18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... do you not think that the actions show disrespect? (and lack of manners too?)

19. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

'Having a laugh' is the excuse used for all sorts of anti-social, stupid and dangerous behaviour.

20. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

No, i wouldn't jump off that cliff, but then, suicide is against the law too so they're not likely to ask that of you...not quite the same comparison is it??

Ok, have what you think is a laugh and a joke, but learn to shut up and show some respect when someone in authority points out that you may be offending others.

The officer warned him, and he still continued...apparently far enough away so that he thought they wouldn't persue him...that was big of him wasn't it??

And I don't know about anyone else, but I've been steaming drunk a million times and never yet seen the need to be abusive towards the police. They're there for a reason and their job would be so much easier if they didn't have to deal with numpties like this lad.

Just for arguments sake if they'd let it go, and he'd rounded the corner and got in to a fight with some other drunk because of the mood he was in...what would you be asking of the police then?? "Well you could see he was being abusive, why didn't you do something?!?"
    They can't win.

21. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Good points there! If the guy wasn't trying to take the michael of the police officer's horse, he might have said something similar to a passer-by and ended up in more trouble. He might have thought he was being funny, but not everybody share the same viewpoints! Being in that state, his actions could be perceived by the police as being a danger to himself and others. (... maybe?)

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    nothing
    correctness
    Plod
    nuts
    political correctness