Has anyone played any of these pieces?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by sop17, Aug 21, 2006.

1. sop17

sop17 New Member

Just wondering if anyone has ever played any of the following pieces:

Boyce: 1st movt from Symphony no. 4 O Solo Mio [Eb edition] Brass Wind 2114E
    Eaves: Rhapsody for Eb Soprano Cornet G & M Brand 70040
    Graham: Glorious Ventures or Whirlwind Gramercy Solo Album Eb Gramercy Music
    Haydn: Gypsy Rondo It's A Classic for Eb Horn Brass Wind 2125
    Hummel: Trumpet Concerto, 1st movt: Allegro con spirito Boosey
    Kneale: Variations on a Welsh Theme
    Monti : Czardas It's A Classic for Eb Horn Brass Wind 2125
    Mozart: The Queen of the Night's Aria Kirklees
    Neruda: Concerto for Trumpet & Strings, 1st movt Musica Rara
    Rimmer: Silver Threads Among the Gold G & M Brand
    Rossini: Cavatine It's A Classic for Eb Horn Brass Wind 2125
    Sparke: Capriccio G & M Brand 70009

They are all on the Trinity Guildhall syllabus for grade 8 soprano cornet next year, which I'd quite like to aim for, but it would be nice to hear what other people think of the pieces, and especially the range that they require. I have the Robert Eaves Rhapsody for Eb Soprano Cornet, but don't know any of the others. I would go into a music shop and look at some of them, but the best local one for me only has two of them in.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    I
    Eb Horn Brass Wind 2125
    O Solo Mio
    A Classic
    Eb Gramercy Music
  3. Played theHummel Trumpet concerto for my grade 8 many a year ago. Brilliant piece of music. One hell of an intro though in the first movement, before the trumpet comes in.

4. HBB

HBB Active Member

Glorious ventures has several top C's and ends on a D... need rock iron chops for that. Whirlwind's alright... only 2.5 mins long and fairly repetitive.

Variations on a Welsh Theme is very good - can really add style!

5. sop17

sop17 New Member

I think I'll give that a miss then! :) I've just ordered 'Silver Threads Among the Gold', so I'll see what that is like soon, but I still need to pick another (preferably without any top Cs!)

6. rutribal

rutribal Member

The Neruda is a great piece of music, not particularly difficult either. If I remember correctly it doesn't go above a top G (top C for Bb instruments).

Queen of the Night's Aria isn't to taxing either.

7. horn__blower

horn__blower Member

i did variations on a welsh theme for my grade 8. really liked the piece. top c is the highest note in it. i found it quite interesting to play, sounds nice, and isnt too difficult.

8. NeilW

NeilW Member

www.music-exchange.co.uk in Manchester seem to be able to do many grade pieces quickly and at quite a reasonable price (though probably their postage prices will have gone up this week!!)

Neil

9. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

I love silver threads amongst the gold! Not like I can play it or anything :tongue: Its really really nice though!

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I've still to hear of anybody playing Czardas on sop. Would be interesting though!

11. sop17

sop17 New Member

What does that mean? (bearing in mind I don't know the piece;) )

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    I
    Eb Horn Brass Wind 2125
    O Solo Mio
    A Classic
    Eb Gramercy Music
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

meaning ... I've still to hear a concert performance or recording of a soprano player playing the solo. :cool:

14. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

If the range isn't a problem personally Ithink Glorious Ventures is a good option - it is all under the fingers.

15. waynefiler

waynefiler Member

Shame the 2nd movts of the Hummel and Neruda aren't the syllabus, 2 of the most beautiful movements of the trumpet/cornet repitoire. Hummel's a bit of a lip buster though.

I did the Hummel for my ATCL, such a brill piece to play and yes it has got a belter of an introduction before the trumpet comes in!!!!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2006
  16. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

And you just HAVE to go up to the Super Eb at the end of the Rumba Eb Major section! a la David Daws