Harrogate... Double Bookings

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Daisy Duck, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

Having paid our deposit and supposedly booked our hotel in Harrogate straight after our regional contest win in March, we've now been told that "oh dear, we've double booked your rooms" and so we're having to spend our two nights in Harrogate at two different hotels. Rather annoyed as it's going to add a lot of stress to pack and move hotels on the day of the contest itself. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

2. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

hotels double book rooms because there is always cancellations or no shows. If there is a double booking they simply transfer to another hotel. Airlines also do this.

3. Frontman

Frontman Member

Surely, you have a written confirmation regarding your bookings and receipt for the payment made?
    If this is the case, you and the Hotel have made a Contract which has to be honoured, and in that case it is up to the Hotel to re-arrange your accomodation to your agreed satisfaction and also to adequately compensate you. If this is the case I would be talking to my Solicitor immediately.
    The whole stress of the situation must be worth ahuge amount of compensation.

4. cshimmon

cshimmon Member

especially when you're not just talking about one or two rooms!

5. Al

Al Member

In February prior to the Regionals I inquired for 20 rooms in Harrogate and found it very difficult. I think an agent pre-books rooms for the finals, knowing there is going to be a market.

The prices were around £60 per night per person B&B in one hotel for the last week in September and I noticed that there was then a valentines night special - evening meal, B&B and with bottle of Champagne - £35 per couple!

If our band was fortunate to go to Harrogate again I would suggest they use a Hotel elsewhere such as Leeds. Harrogate is ok but basically you are just going there for the contest. There seems no point in paying over the odds just to be within a mile or so.

6. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I'd be kicking up an almighty fuss over this if it were me.

"You've double booked us - we were booked in first, but now it's US that has to move? No. I don't think so...."

If they won't budge, legal advice. Definitely. It's not you that's messed up, why should you pay the penalty?

7. cshimmon

cshimmon Member

check the exact wordings of the terms and conditions before you do anything else though

8. still learnin

still learnin Member

My understanding is that our contract was with an agency, not with the hotel.

9. still learnin

still learnin Member

We used a hotel in Leeds last year but decided to pay the premium required to stay in Harrogate this time because of the potential early morning start on the Sunday. We were also setting up arrangements for a practice early in Harrogate before the contest start. It would have to be an even earlier start to the day after a long trip if we were outside of the town.

10. blue juice

blue juice Member

You all sorted for practice arrangements?

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Harrogate
    hotel
    contest win
    hotels
    stress
  12. Frontman

Frontman Member

I agree with you totally.

However, if an agency has made the booking, they have still made a contract with you to supply the required accomodation and you still have your statutory rights. Get legal advice a.s.a.p.

13. dyl

dyl Active Member

The whole issue with this agency block-booking these hotels year in year out, stinks to high heaven imo. We always steer clear and get a hotel outside of Harrogate, when fortunate enough to qualify for the finals. That's what we did last year, and have done so again this year.

14. Deano

Deano Member

It happened to us last year, we were informed 10 days before the finals that the hotel was doubled booked. It was all down to a error on the agents part, they thought that they had block booked the hotel the previous year, but never confirmed it in writing to the hotel. It ended up costing them alot of money, as they had to up grade us to the most expensive hotel on their list and pay for 2 rehearsals we had booked at the original hotel.

15. still learnin

still learnin Member

We're sorted for the Saturday but I'm not sure about the Sunday before we go on, I think that partly depends on what time we play.

16. Frontman

Frontman Member

I hope you are reading these replies as they are to your benefit.

17. Al

Al Member

The warm up facilities at the venue are quite good. You might get 15 - 20 minutes. Some would say if you need more time at that stage then . . . .

18. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

Thanks for all the replies... the "solution" to the problem seems to be to have us in two different hotels, one on Saturday night and another on Sunday night. Very frustrating.

19. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Have you indicated that you find this acceptable? I'd be informing them in strong terms of its unacceptability, and doing so twice a day on the phone, demanding a better solution, until a better solution was presented. Make yourself more of a nuisance than the agent, and then they'll find a way to accommodate you. It's unpalatable, but it sounds like it has to be done...

20. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Agreed Dave.

As I've recently been told several times "Shy bairns go hungry..."

21. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I wonder what happened to "I want doesn't get"...

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Harrogate
    hotel
    contest win
    hotels
    stress