Harrison's Dream

Discussion in 'theMouthPiece.com User Reviews' started by John Brooks, Nov 16, 2004.

1. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I spent a little time surfing the web last night and stumbled on a "New" CD by the Royal Marines Band titled "Harrison's Dream". I checked the play list to find that it also includes "James Cook - Circumnavigator".

Has anyone heard this? I think it might be interesting to hear these two great (imo) pieces of music in this format and would appreciate any comments.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Harrison's Dream
    Royal Marines Band
    Harrison
    James Cook - Circumnavigator
    pieces of music
  3. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

I've played James Cook, but a few years ago, though it was the wind band version. I thought it was an absolutely brilliant piece of music, though I can't remember too much detail now!

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Good spotting and it looks like one for my collection. I have never heard a wind band arrangement of James Cook (Gilbert Vinter) and I'm sure that under the direction of Chris Davis, the music will not disappoint anyone. Interesting to see the euph solo City Beneath The Sea (Nigel Clarke) listed. I wonder if their virtuoso player, Steve Boyes, is the soloist? Superb player and his brother, formerly of City Of Hull band, moved to NZ to take up solo euph with Woolston (if my memory serves me right).

http://www.royalmarinesbands.co.uk/catalogue/Harrisons_Dream.htm

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

The "James Cook, Circumnavigator" arrangement was recorded by the Western Band of the RAF on "Great British Music for Wind, vol 1" (Polyphonic). Conducted by Robert Wiffin, it is available from Midland cd Club:

http://www.ukcd.net/cgi-bin/item-mid.pl?id=mb0549&lang=en

If I remember correctly, the wind version of Harrison's Dream won a major prize in the US, so I'll definitely be looking out for the new recording!

6. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

It appears that nobody has yet heard this CD. Perhaps it really is hot off the press. I know WoB don't carry too many wind band CD's but perhaps Carl can comment on the possibility of this one appearing soon.

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

When I heard the wind band version (University Of North Texas Wind Ens.), I liked it a lot more than the brass band one. The additional woodwinds added more colour and character to the piece. Saying that, I now have YBS's new album and David King's treatment of the work has made me think again! :-?

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

:-? ... at least they could have spelled the soloist's name correctly .... BOYES not Boyce (as in Max). Glad to see him playing the Clarke piece.