harold and david bishop tuba

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by horn__blower, Nov 30, 2005.

1. horn__blower

horn__blower Member

ok, maybe showing all how sad i am, but has anyone seen neighbours in the last couple of days. is it just me, or are harold and david so *not* playing tubas! ok, i know they cant play anyway, but the noises we hear of whoever else it is that is playing, im sure is not a tuba. much too high!! anyone else notice?
    or any tuba players out there normally play that high?

2. B'aht a band

B'aht a band Member

Uh? Neighbours? Harold Bishop? Tuba? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Last time I saw the guy who plays Harold Bishop, he was a governor in Prisoner Cell Block H.......... See, you ain't that sad to be watching dull aussie afternoon fayre (bring back Flying Doctors!!! ;) )

Andy, sat with TV guide in hand

3. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

LBB's party piece is to play Sop cues on his BBb bass...

at pitch. :eek:

4. katharine

katharine Member

:eek: i'm so gutted i've missed it!!!

5. Hahahahaha, i thought i was going to die with laughter when i saw this on telly the other day. Christ knows who or what is playing... just show me MORRRRRRRRRE!!!

6. Aaron

Aaron Member

Being an equally sad Neighbours fan i have been watching the 'tuba' campain & listening with learned ear, & i reckon the sounds coming out of those tubas are more akin to a baritone or a baby 3 valve euph

you have to bear in mind that our Harold is a big lad, so if it is actually a tuba sound, & he is actually playing it, you'd expect a really big sound...
    or am i just reading too much into it & proving what a spod i really am?!
    ...your answers on a postcard to.....

7. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Having shared a few beers with Ian Smith (the actor who plays Harold) a few years ago, I'll testify that it isn't him (surprise, surprise). Good bloke though.

8. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Yea... sounded like trumpets.... but you know, it's only a soap....

Besides, David Bishop infact said he wanted to play tuba and it was definatly a euphonium!! :p ;-)

Nice bit of comedy value in neighbours just now... it's great.

9. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

I can vouch for this fact !! LBB can squeeze ridiculously high notes out of virtually any instrument , and has been known to do so without the benefit of a mouthpiece as well !

10. six pints

six pints Active Member

wooooo neighbours rock on!!!

(im sorry. i havent slept and i luv neighbours, so being very irrelevant)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    david bishop
    david bishop tuba
    harold
    redface
  12. Tack7

Tack7 Member

A few years ago i had the hilarious responsibility of partnering Sue Pollard in a bass section on the Lottery Show. The Eb bass given to her by the BBC props department was almost as small as a euphonium, but it definately was an Eb bass. They are often used by young players obviously because of the size. They are in fact still being produced for 'learners', some of which are actually quite good.

Simon

13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

(... a little off-topic but still relevant with bands & telly ... teams on Monday's University Challenge was asked to identify 'The Floral Dance' when a snippet was played. The rest of the questions were to name the tune bands were playing .... the team got 1 out of 3!! :cool: ).

14. skimbleshanks

skimbleshanks Member

Whoa! There're still producing Neighbours? I've not seen it for like 5 years but I remember that Harold always had the occassional blow on his tuba.

15. groovy

groovy Active Member

So gutted I missed that, i hardly ever see Neighbours these days. :(

16. horn__blower

horn__blower Member

cool to see neighbours has its fans in the brass band world (even if u cant all watch it) the joys of working life spose means we cant watch everything we want to!!

but how difficult could it be for them to get a real tuba sound? and surely he should be better than that if hes been playing for so many years and is in the salvos??

17. Steve

Steve Active Member

I love Neighbours, I thought it was just something that the Aussies exported but THEY LOVE IT MORE THAN ME!! There are Neighbours marathons on tv for hours at a time over there and its awesome.

I loved coming back to the UK and telling everyone Sky was gonna be involved in some lesbian loving, they were glued to their sets for weeks ;)

being back in working life means Neighbours is no longer daily viewing :(

18. Will the Sec

And why hasn't Erinsbrough got a brass band? :confused:

19. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I recently missed Neighbours for two whole weeks (damn being in school!), however I did manage to catch up within 5 minutes of returning to student life....
    neighbours is the greatest aspect about being a student!

20. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Pardon my ignorance, as I haven't seen neighbours since I was a student over a decade ago (I'm astonished they're still making it), but I though Harold Bishop drowned? Or did I imagine that? or is that the same actor in some other cruddy ozfest?:confused:

21. Will the Sec

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    david bishop
    david bishop tuba
    harold
    redface