Hardware Maintenance !

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheKnightTemplar, Mar 28, 2007.

1. TheKnightTemplar

TheKnightTemplar New Member

Does anyone know of an equivalent to a"Haynes Car Manual" for brass instruments ?

2. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

3. TheKnightTemplar

4. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

Sorry, but!!!!!

Cleaning an instrument is important IMHO......

1. Wiping down after each session, it helps stop acid attack. If I don't do this, my Silver plate will turn black within a matter of weeks. Lacquered instruments also need to be wiped down. If you don't, the lacquer will go much quicker.

2. Giving your instrument a bath enables you to clear out all the gunk that does build up. Just unscrew the bottom of your valves to see the build up there.

How many of us eat then play. Where do you think some of that food is going? Not all the way through your instrument, thats for sure. CLEAN IT!!!

Yes, be careful, but a clean instrument is more likely to be cared for, hold it's value for longer, and play better.

Yes, Valves need valve oil, and slides need greese as well.

5. Di

Di Active Member

I can't believe how many times that says "do not clean your trumpet". :eek: Has he/she never seen the gunk that builds up on the inside? Even after just a short time?

With a smaller instrument and some time, it's possible to get a good cleaning using the shower hose and spending some time flushing through all the pipes, and yes I mean quite a bit of time, it takes a while to loosen some of the gunk. Better still and especially with the bigger instruments, a good soak in a bath of water.

Other threads have referred to using a solution of bicarb in the water. See here and here.

Hope this helps.

BTW. Be very careful putting the bass in the bath. I'd recommend perhaps putting a bath towel on the bottom of the bath before putting the bass in. Shifting the bass around and cleaning it whilst in the bath can lead to some nasty, difficult to shift marks on the bath. ;)

6. TheKnightTemplar

Thanks for all your replies, just one other question, is it necessary to unscrew the valves when the instrument is not being played for a day or two ?

7. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I was taught when I was a total beginner to release the valves by half a turn while the instrument wasn't being played. I don't think I've done that for years though! :rolleyes: I also don't think I know anyone who does. I'm sure it would be good practice to do so though as it should prevent the top cap getting stuck.

8. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

I put a little slide greese on the threads, just so they won't get stuck. However, most valves required oil at least once a week, so top thread should be ok from use. Bottom valve threads can be an issue, if not regularly moved.

9. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

One thing to remember if your beloved instrument is lacquar plated: Don't bath it in water that is too hot! Or you'll end up doing what I did many years ago and fetching bits of it off around the bell wire and at the ends of the slides. After that experience I've never washed any instrument in water hotter than tepid.

10. BrianT

BrianT Member

My experience of Haynes Manuals is that it would say something like "simply remove the nut", but then say that in order to get at the nut you had to remove the front wings, gearbox and engine. There was a difficulty rating system - "three-spanner" jobs were of awesome difficulty - like stripping a gearbox. I could just about manage the single-spanner jobs, but they always took lots longer than I'd expected.

I think most of the maintenance jobs in a brass Haynes manual would be single-mouthpiece rated. Three-mouthpiece jobs would be replating or something similar.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Haynes Car Manual
    equivalent
    Hardware Maintenance
    brass instruments
  12. Alan MacRae

Alan MacRae Member

I do that. On all my instruments. Every time I put it away, I turn the valve tops a quarter turn. I should really do that with the valve bottoms as well, but I usually don't, unless it's going away fro an extended period.

However. I have been known to forget to tighten them again before playing. The nice clatter the valves make soon reminds me, though ;)

13. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Yep, vaseline on every thread whenever it gets cleaned or just before I put it away for a while (e.g. last gig before Christmas). Stops them seizing up.