Hardraw Scar Contest

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Brian Kelly, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

Anyone know what time it starts?

I've never been before and I'm thinking of going along for a listen.
  2. tubadaz

tubadaz Member

According to the Darlington and Stockton Times website, the contest starts at 10am on Sunday 9th September. All I know for certain is that we're playing a little later than that!! :D:D

3. Brian Kelly

Thanks Darryl!
  4. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

I played last year with Milnrow and it was a fantastic day out in stunning surroundings and very well run. Loved it.
  5. Toxophile

Toxophile Member

Just got back to Otley after our first outing to any contest as a band and we won the section for 4th Section and Ungraded bands.:clap:

Our thanks go especially to Gordon Eddison for his work in getting us to this point. Cheers Gordon.
  6. Di

Di Active Member

Congragulations. :)
  7. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Overall -

1st Harrogate
    2nd Shepherds
    3rd Wetherby
    4th Broughtons

Soloist - Wetherby
    March - Broughtons - i think
    Hymn - Harrogate

4th and Ungraded

Elland Youth
    erm . . . . . any offer?
    nope hazy from there on

had a couple of ales!
  8. Brian Kelly

Congratulations to Straightmute and the Harrogate Band! Worthy winners!:clap:

Also well done to their bass trombone player (I don't know who he is) on his rendition of "I wanna be like you" from "The Jungle Book"; the audience loved it and he played it much better than I could (I know, I've tried)! :clap:

Also congratulations to the Shepherd Group Band (formerly Rowntrees') on their 2nd place :clap:

Special mention as well for the unregistered bands (not just youth bands) who tipped their toe into the contesting world. I was impressed by Otley in particular. :clap:

I left after the last band played but before the results, as I had a long journey home and knew that I would be able to get them from t'internet.

Shame the weather was not that good (it must be terrific on a warm sunny day) but at least it didn't rain. Interesting to see that there was a large audience, and not just made up of band geeks like me either!
  9. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Sorry Garry, we won the march as well!

Thanks to all at Y and H for a great day out, and for Theakstons for providing two cases of Old Peculiar for the coach...

Thanks to all who complimented our performance, great to see so many friends.

10. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Thanks David - I was a little hazy last night, especially having sampled some of the theakstons myself. We heard Harrogate and Brougthons in our section, Shepherds having played earlier. Thought the standard was extremelly high. Harrogate sounded great from the beer tent, with a very vocal introduction to "I wanna be like you", excellent! We were impressed by Leyburn's Circle of life - they sung the opening parts and it was sensational. I was delighted for Otley, their first dive into the contesting world was a brilliant success. We (Wetherby) were delighted with our 3rd place, and Solist prize. It was only Sunday evening last week when I got th call to help out in the middle, so we'd only had three rehearsals together, the team stuck together well and we played with style and musicality and I enjoyed my brief time at the helm!

Well done to the H&Y and Theakstons for yet another great contest and day out.
  11. catherine_S

catherine_S Member

Well, Swinton came fourth!:D

It was our first time doing this contest and I think it will now be a fixture on our calendar. All the fun of contesting and so little of the irritations!

It could have been a touch warmer - but who cares! To quote a member of my family who couldn't get there "A contest in the Yorkshire dales at a pub which serves good beer - who could ask for more!"
  12. tubadaz

tubadaz Member

I seem to remember that our "training" band, Shepherd Group Concert Brass came 6th in the 4th and Ungraded section in their first "proper" contest, :clap: but as Garry said, it was all a bit hazy by then for me as well! (We played 2nd - had more than a couple of ales!! :D)

13. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Congratulations to David and Harrogate!

(amnd to the other winners as well of course...)
  14. timold

timold New Member

circle of life

Outvwith my band at hardraw and herd leyburn play circle of life, does anyone out there know the arrangement?

Tim Oldroyd
    MD Shepherd's Group