Hardraw Scar Contest Latest News

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by P. Sanderson, May 1, 2004.

1. P. Sanderson

P. Sanderson Member

Sunday 12th September 2004. Commencing at 10.15 AM

This is the Yorkshire & Humberside Brass Band Association calling all those bands and their supporters who will be taking part in the National Finals at Harrogate on Saturday 11th September. Why not complete your weekend by staying overnight in this beautiful part of the country and taking part in, or perhaps just visiting, the Hardraw Scar Contest on Sunday 12th.

After the British Open Championships, Hardraw Scar Contest is reputedly the oldest contest in the country still up and running. Hardraw Scar is situated just 2 miles from Hawes in the North West corner of the Yorkshire Dales, so it is not just the contest which you will enjoy but the scenic countryside as well. This open air contest, which is sponsored by the brewers T & R Theakston, takes place in a gorge at the rear of the Green Dragon Inn just 200 yards from Hardraw Force. The latter is a waterfall which boasts the highest free fall drop in the UK. The gorge provides a natural amphitheatre and I quote from a letter written to the Association by last years adjudicator Malcolm Brownbill :-
    “The setting is unique and provides excellent acoustics. When I came out of the box I was amazed to see how many people were enjoying this very special experience – long may this glorious event continue”.

Full bar and catering facilities will be available on site. At the end of the contest and following a short and traditional massed band concert of hymns and marches performed by all the participating bands the results will be announced. The time at this point should be about 5.45 pm.

If your band is interested in the Contest but requires more information please do not hesitate to telephone either Dennis Hill on 01430 423451 or Colin Wormald on 01937 586734. However, do not leave it too late as regrettably, the number of bands participating must be limited to twelve.

Entry forms and rules are available from our Web Site www.yhbba.co.uk

D Hill Association Secretary
    C Wormald Contest Organiser