Hardest position in a band

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by fitzy, Apr 29, 2004.

What do you think would be the toughest job in a band?

1. Soprano Cornet

2. Principal Cornet

3. Tutti Cornet

4. Back row cornet

5. Flugel Horn

0 vote(s)
  6. Tenor horn

7. Baritone

8. Tenor Trombone

9. Bass trombone

10. Euphonium

11. Eb Tuba

12. Bb Tuba

13. Percussion

1. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

Just thought I would run a bit of a poll to see what people thought were the really tough jobs in a brass band. (other then MD) I am a soprano player so naturaly I think that I have the toughest job but I'm open to suggestions!
  2. Ste69

Ste69 Member

Sop, principal cornet, flugel or Euph I reckon.

but then again, anyone can be exposed if the music calls for it. These 4 seem to get more stick than most though.
  3. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Naturally, people are going to flog their own positions, but I reckon it depends on the bunch of people one has around. Extremes of standard from one player to another is not unusal, but if a few players are carrying the rest of the band, then certainly life gets more difficult due to lack of back up. Also in bands without a full line up, then the goal posts move again, for example, having a single bass player...

People on the corner chairs tend to obvious to an audience though ;)
  4. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Can vouch for that one, have been only bass at both rehearsals this week!
  5. Ginge

Ginge Member

It all depends on the piece really.

Test pieces are hard for every position, whereas light concert pieces are quite easy for most of the band. So it all depends really.
  6. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Hardest position? 5th, definitely...
  7. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

BACK ROW!! without a doubt... we have all the hard stuff, not jus the tune :lol:
  8. Ginge

Ginge Member

Totally agree!

Although all the parts swap around in test pieces anyway. You could end up playing a bass part one moment and a sop part the next!
  9. Don't really think that there is a simple answer to this one. I would prob go for 3rd Cornet - the player is often struggling to blow the piece of plumbing and coping with sight reading - although this would apply to any beginner regardless of instrument.

I always take my hat of to the back row.............they often get the most stick from the MD!!
  10. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

Sorry all! I just realised that I spelt "position wrong"
    I think I need to go to sleep! Its 2am here!

(Edit: soon put that right for you :!: , PB, Mod :wink: )
  11. akwarose

akwarose Active Member

this is all too true :(
  12. Boneman

Boneman Member

I would have to go for Soprano Cornet (and this isn't even my instrument!), it is a difficult instrument to play and is often exposed, tuning can be a nightmare in the wrong hands, and there is a real skill in making this instrument sound really nice.

I think the fact that good sop players are fairly rare is an indication of the instruments difficulty.

NB in the hands of a good player it is also a fantastic instrument!
  13. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

Baritone. Never gets a rest and has too much of everyone elses parts to do because of that
  14. kate_the_horn

kate_the_horn New Member

diffficult becoz of the bitchy players you have to deal with!

(im generalising, i dont mean everyone!!)

*forgive me ive been through a rough time, im seeking councilling*
  15. Heather

Heather Member

Baritone...and not just because that's what I play.
    We have to play with every other section of the band...they obviously need our help!!!!
    We have to be able to play high, low, loud , quiet, tunes, rythmns, harmonies..everything really.
    and, the worse thing is WE never get the praise.
  16. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

i suppose it depends on the music being played as to how tough a job each part is!!

for example sop and flugel in les preludes have a heck of a job to do. whereas take something like william tell overture and the principle cornet needs to pop his/her teeth in to get through the famous rather demanding solo!!

i said sop as they are always heard but i really think it depends!!
  17. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

I'd say 1st baritone can be a killer of a part, particularly it has to play all the fanfare with the trombones, the high off-beat quavers with the horns, and to cap it all off the melody with the euphs!

OK generalization, but you get the idea ... but on the flip-side, the 2nd baritone part can be quite straight-forward in comparison.

But the euph part can be tough, because it's expected to double with just about every part in the band - ranging from sop to Bb bass!
  18. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

I'm going to be controversial and say the conductor. If he/ she misses out even one beat, the whole piece could fall apart. If I missed out a note, I doubt anone would notice.
  19. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

Yeah! For brass maybe, but percussion ranges from the really hard (Tristan's hard with 3) to the not to hard actually (Journey Into Freedom *runs to avoid being shot*)
  20. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Aww nuts, beat me to it! Lets face it gettin 28 talentless twits to produce such a lovely sound takes phenomenal skill :D