hard or soft?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by baritone impresario, Feb 10, 2004.

1. how do you prefer'em hard or soft.yes i'm talking about instrument cases.do soft ones offer better protection than a hard rigid one?is technology that good that there is no difference between hard or soft?anybody got any veiws.personally i prefer them hard..........

nick harris
  2. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Soft. Only because I'm a weakling and hard cases are heavier. GIG bags have the best protection I've found. They certainly are not "bash" bags! And there's massive pockets in them (enough room for a fair few bottles!!) Or a mute.
  3. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

soft... because they look sooooo much cooler! 8)

...oh, and they're easier to get on the train :oops:
  4. twm_trombone

twm_trombone Member

Soft cases are definately much better...not only are the light and easy to carry they also have a certain pinasche. So i agree with lynchie that they make you look very cool walking down the street...not lumbering down the street as you would otherwise be doing with a heavy cases.

I would use a hard case if i were to go on an aeroplane, for added protection and peace of mind.
  5. Cornet_player

Cornet_player Member

I wouldnt dream of putting my cornet in a soft case because I know alot of people who have had serious damage done to instrument whilst they are in soft cases :( :(

It gets a little difficult when I have to take Bb and Eb cornet as well as a Trumpet tho :? :?
  6. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

Thought you might like it hard Nick!! :wink:
    I think its the best way to go!
    Not much use having a soft one, could so easily get damaged....
  7. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Why am I not surprised Mr Harris.

Hope the legs have recovered from the Blues Brothers Stylee Dancing.

Back on topic though. I have a gig-bags.com case and its the best i've had

Soft all the way for me.
  8. Steve

Steve Active Member

Soft cos I'm lazy but if there isnt much carrying to do I will put it in the hard case, especially when its on a bus!!
  9. A J Foad

A J Foad Member

It depends entirely on the way you get about with your instrument. If you live in the city and have to travel on trains, buses, tube etc.. then soft is the only option (except, maybe for the smaller instruments). If the total amount of travelling you do with the instrument is in and out of the car for band practice, gig or whatever, then use a hard case. In my commuting days my instrument was always in and out of the repair shop with the odd knock here and there. At least with a hard case you shouldn't have to worry about that too much!

It just comes down to practicality....... :lol:
  10. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Hard because that's what I got with my instrument and I can't afford a gig bag right now. :lol:
  11. horn1

horn1 Member

I've used a gig bag for years now and much prefer it. I've never reaally had any problems with damage either. I'm begining to notice a few dents but I think that's 'cos my current gig bag is about 5 years old and could do with replacing. Any big trips with band when I'm likely to have to put my horn under the coach means I use my hard case though.
  12. yr_epa

yr_epa Member

Hard I would say due to me seeing a mates cornet being dented due to someone just chucking his gig bag into the boot of a bus!

Plus you don't have to pay for your case but you have to pay for a gig bag, which can be quite expensive!!
  13. stopher

stopher Member

I use a gig bag but it has got plenty of padding and quite a bit of protection in it but still wouldn't like to put it in the boot of a bus.

The one I've got is made by brass bags (www.brassbags.co.uk) and you can get an extra set of boards to put inside them. Can carry 2 instruments, set of mutes, music and loads of other junk too and isn't much bigger than the case to my trumpet.

I have had two nasty accidents with it though when the plastic clasps have come undone and the end of the case has hit the floor, causing two nasty dents in the bell of my trumpet which cost £300 to fix each time!!!! Sorted the clasps on the shoulder strap by going to a mountaineering shop and buying some lockable karrabiners which will hold my weight let alone the weight on my gig bag. Well impressed with it
  14. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

Hard case for me as Iwould be frightened of denting my cornet is a gig bag.
  15. tim

tim Member

I use a gig bag all the time except on coach journey unless theres a spare seat for my euph. I use a gig bag mainly because I have to take my euph in and out of school nearly everyday and I was sick of my huge hard case!
  16. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I'm on my 3rd gig bag now, its just so much easier being able to sling the thing over your shoulder! Used the hard case for a coach trip in the summer, and flying to Dundee, and both times it drove me nuts within about 10 minutes. Maybe its because I carry so much junk around?!

Can you add a poll?
  17. HBB

HBB Active Member

No ---- only a mod can do that! :D
  18. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

Gig bag normally for me...much easier. I used to use a triple trumpet bag when I was playing more seriously

But for bus trips and flying, I use a hard case...dont trus baggage handlers

As for damage, Ive caused more damage out of the case than in it :shock:
  19. Bassically_Mad

Bassically_Mad New Member

I think there's a reason to use both........most peeps now have gig bags. I'm playin EEb bass at the mo and the instrument doesent fit in the boot of my car in its case so a gig bag would be cool but as a poor student and a former Sop player is it worth shelling out over a hundred squid for a gig bag when the bass isnt even mine!!!!

One day i might even get my own instrument and gig bag instead of just a mouthpiece!

20. tubbythe tuba

tubbythe tuba New Member

I agree with basically mad. I also play EEb and mine definately wont fit in the boot of my motor in the case. Also ended up carrying it up several flights of stairs last weekend at Preston. So next time I think I'll just go commando!!