Hard Cases

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Accidental, May 11, 2009.

1. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

a couple of our old Sovereign cases (a baritone and a BBb) are falling to bits - I'm after recommendations for good replacements, ballpark pricing and suppliers please!
  2. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

Baritone - get the Gig moulded case - it really is superb. As good as a hard case and very versatile. www.octaveabove.co.uk i think or www.gig-bags.com.

3. Di

Di Active Member

Do these really exist? I tried for a tenor horn moulded case at Christmas. I rang gig and they said that although their website offered a moulded csae for a tenor horn, they didn't actually make one! I bought the advanced model (took them several weeks, and delivered just in time for Christmas. It lasted until early February before it started coming apart on the shoulder straps. Took it back to shop who ordered a replacement from Gig. It took until Easter to arrive. This second one has also got to go back as it is suffering from the same problem on the shoulder straps. I'm now looking for a replacement for this. Have seen the Walstein cases here, which I believe are hard, but fabric covered and have the shoulder straps.
  4. nevillebros

nevillebros New Member

5. Di

Di Active Member

That's interesting. Does this mean that Gig DO now make a moulded case for tenor horn also?
  6. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

I wouldn't trust anything but a pro-tec.

I just wish Pro-Tec stuff was easier to get hold off.
  7. Frosty

Frosty Member

I have used the 'gig' type gig bags for several years without any problems. I often have trombone stand and plenty of other stuff in the pockets adding plenty of extra weight to the bag.
    Straps have always been fine as have instruments inside the bag.
    I would certainly recommend this type of case.

8. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

9. Matt the Shed

Matt the Shed Member

10. Accidental

:p :p :p :p :p

helpful as ever hun!
  11. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

I assure you that they do really exist - at least for Baritone and Cornet. They don't make a tenor horn one as of yet, who knows if they will... The moulded case is the only Baritone case that Gig do - I believe that is because they tried it out on the Baritone case - smaller numbers, less demand so more of a chance to develop it. I have had two (sold my first when I sold my old instrument) my current case takes a considerable battering from me, and aside from the zips where i have replaced the toggles with some shoe lace type string to make them a bit more useful, it is all in fine nick.

I will be replacing my current case with a Gig Moulded case when I eventually wear out the current one through mis-use and abuse!
  12. Despot

Despot Member

I have a Hiscox case for my euph which is quite good. Sells at about 160. They make a baritone option. It's an actual hard case as opposed a gig bag, or case with fabric exterior.
  13. 007ish

007ish Member

14. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Thomann sell Protec cases here. Its a German based company, but you can pay in Sterling and their delivery is FOC and takes just a couple of days. I bought my PB-301 case from there and they were very good - and cheaper than elsewhere at the time too.

As for the cases - I agree will Hells. For those who don't know, they are a semi-rigid case but as sturdy as anything, light and well put together.
  15. shawneuph

shawneuph Supporting Member

We have a selection of different colour hard shell GIG Baritone gig cases available from £59-95, (50% off RRP) also hard cases similar in design to the Prestige Euph case (just smaller) for £75-00

Tel 01604677664
  16. catto09

catto09 Member

on this note, we have a few of the older sovereign instruments that have lost their handles - anyone know if we can get replacement handles for these cases? the more boxy type cases, after the blue ones, but before the current ones
  17. nevillebros

nevillebros New Member

Try asking http://www.windcraft.co.uk I think they carry some case handles for besson cases but unfortunately there's no pictures.
    The 90's Besson (brown moulded) cases were made by Jakob Winter of Germany.
  18. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Band Supplies (Glasgow) replaced a knackered (VB Strad) flugel case handle for us - worth a call.
  19. Accidental

thanks for all the suggestions guys. I've now got my mitts on one of Shawn's fake-Prestige cases and its fab :)