HAPPY ST GEORGE'S DAY

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ploughboy, Apr 23, 2004.

1. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

What are you doing to celebrate your englishness?

I'm gonna wear my red and white's and raise a glass in the pub to st. george.

by the way.... He was a roman soilder, born in greece, never came to England, stood up for Christianity, was beheaded for it. He's also St. in Russia, Greece and 5/6 other places in Europe. But today is about been english, Yes were a multicutural society these days and that should be celebated too, but when born in England we are all English!!

(my apologies to Andrew, Patrick and David but you all have your own day)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    ST GEORGE'S DAY
    soilder
    's
    george.
    St.
  3. Ste69

Ste69 Member

:eek: Altogether now!!!......."Till we have built Jerusalem...." :eek:

4. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

Land of Hope and Glory.....

5. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

As a welsh type with English parents, I hope everyone has a .....
    Happy St Georges Day.....enjoy it :wink:

6. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Happy St George's Day everyone.

I will not be wearing my red and whites. Might be mistaken for a mackem :eek:

7. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

wots this?? nothing on tmp logo at the top for st georges day??? we had a clover for st paddys day and a daffydil for BST wot bout st george?

8. strongbow

strongbow Member

Celebrating my hubby's birthday who was born in Wales! :guiness

9. drummergurl

as u may not know by now but im not that clever at big words!! can anyone explain it to me??

10. geordiecolin

Think the Daffodil was for St Davids Day??

Is it just me, or does anyone else get the impression that celebrating St George's Day is seen by some to be an example of British Xenophpobic Racism?? Is this why its dumbed down in recent years? I just have the feeling that some think that if you choose celebrate St Georges Day you immediatley become a Right Wing, National Front, BNP Hooligan??!

Utter rubbish of course.

Just the impression I got from this mornings papers........

11. strongbow

strongbow Member

Something to do with that other life consuming activity, football. I presume Geordiecolin is a Newcastle supporter and for some unknown reason :lol:, doesn't like Sunderland?

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    ST GEORGE'S DAY
    soilder
    's
    george.
    St.
  13. drummergurl

ok there was a daffyfil for summat, and football isnt a strong point of mine so ill just say ok and leave it

14. geordiecolin

HaHa! It's ok, I would have thought that must of tmp wouldn't have understood it:

Mackem: Person born within site of the Wear. Definitions vary as follows, with the first definition being considered the most important:

a) Anyone born within the boundaries of the original town of Sunderland, not including Washington and Houghton - le - Spring added later as parts of the City of Sunderland.

b) Anyone born within the boundaries of the Borough or the City of Sunderland (Sunderland became a city in 1992), including Washington and Houghton-le-Spring.

c) Anyone born within the boundaries of the city, plus Seaham, Murton, Easington and other places defined as being in the old East Durham Coalfields.

d) Anyone born within site of the Wear, from the source up at Wearhead to the mouth of the river at Monkwearmouth. This therefore includes places such as Durham, Bishop Auckland, Wolsingham and Stanhope. Definitions of 'Mackem' mostly don't include these latter areas.

The term is derived from Mack'em and Tack'em, dating from the early ship building industry (i.e. the people on Wearside 'mak[e] them' and other people 'tak[e] them') and started off as an insult to the people of Sunderland by the Geordies. In recent years, however, the people of Sunderland have taken the name to be part of their identity as Wearsiders.

Teessiders or 'Smogs' sometimes refer to Mackems as 'Plastic Geordies', meaning that they sound like Geordies, but they're not quite the real thing.

Taken from here

And Sunderland AFC wear Red & White Stripes.....

15. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Absolutely nothing.

Sam

16. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Geordiecolin,

I think it's more the inverse. The far right in England have identified themselves very strongly with St George (a little ironic given that he was a Greek!) This is a little unusual since normally they pick a strong Nationalist figure from their history (eg Hitler in Germany or Mussolini in Italy). Their literature is makes use of the Flag of St George, and so when 23rd April rolls around and the nation bedecks itself in red and white, the wrong assumption is made. Unfortuantely, it seems to me, a lot of people are then tarred with the same brush.

Sam

17. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Clover?? CLOVER?? It's a Shamrock!!! :roll:

18. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

But when you think there is apparently no harm in the Irish (and English!) celebrating St Patrick's Day, the Welsh St David's Day, The Scots St Andrews Day, The Americans Independence Day, the New Zealanders Watange ('scuse spelling) Day, Australians Australia Day, and I'm sure there must be other countries who celebrate their 'day' (French Bastille Day for instance?), to try and deny or criticise the English the right to celebrate - effectively - 'England' day whatever the history (and I'm sure there are dodgy histories with other countries' national celebrations) is fickle, and frankly, pathetic for what should be a harmless national day celebration or whatever you want to call it. Too many ill-meaning PC brigadiers around for my liking..... After all a celebration of modern England is a celebration of a nation of many diverse cultures and races, surely?

19. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

And I shall probably have a beer or six for you guys even tho I'm a sweaty sock (Jock!!).

Happy St. Georges...I think it was our flugal he slayed!!

20. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

But "Everyone loves Clover!!"

21. drummergurl

same difference clover, shamrock its the same plant

22. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Dave,

As an impartial bystander in all this, (far too much mixed blood in my veins to be from anywhere!), it's always amused me that St George's day is almost an anti-climax after who much vigour goes into celebrating St Patrick's Day. Maybe the English should invent an alcoholic drink that you can consume lots of to celebrate the Saints day?? :lol:

Sam