Happy St George's Day

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ju33les, Apr 23, 2005.

1. ju33les

ju33les Member

May I be the first to wish everyone a happy St George's Day:biggrin:
  2. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

ooooooh St George's Day, what traditional things are we supposed to do on St George's Day??
  3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Is St. George's Day always April 23rd or is it the penultimate Saturday in April?

Oh yeah...Happy St. George's Day...I may try to slay a Dragon today ;) (see pic below)

4. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Just about to set off for Nottingham Castle, where Carlton Brass are playing as part of an all day celebration.
    We will be playing quite a few English pieces and some entertainment stuff too.
    Looks like good weather for it and I have seen quite a few St Georges flags out today .

Nice to see in recent years that we are doing more to celebrate our national day.
  5. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

st george's day is ALWAYS 23rd of April
  6. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Happy St Georges Day everyone :biggrin:
  7. Just Crazy

Just Crazy Member

Happy St Georges Day to you all

Maybe we should start celebrating like other places do, shut all the shops and go the pub for the day! [​IMG]
  8. Pookiyama

Pookiyama Member

Inevitable Backlash

I'm no patriot.
    I can't stand nationalism.

Have a nice day. :tongue:
  9. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Why is St George our patron saint? He wasn't British, wasn't very saintly, and was on a list of people that one of popes before John Paul was going to de-saint for being dodgy. Mind you, as England is not catholic why do we have a saint at all? Can't it just be England day, if people want to celebrate the country.

(Didn't stop me sampling a fair proportion of the 15 different St George ales in the Commercial in Chapeltown.)
  10. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I found out the other day that St Patrick wasn't Irish...he was Welsh and kidnapped my Irish pirates. You learn something new everyday!
  11. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

aahhhhrrr! ye doo!
  12. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Georgie boy's also the patron saint of the Ukraine or somewhere around there if I remember right... I don't think it really matters where the saint comes from, just each country seems to have chosen the one whose story they like the best...

I played a couple of St Georges day gigs with City of Cov at the weekend. We managed to upset a few drunks in the pub because we didn't have "Swing Low" with us, but we sedated them a bit with all the other nationalistic stuff (even handed out lyrics for jerusalem, which were almost sung in time...) so it wasn't too bad, and it was the first gig where there were football chants about the conductor...

TIMBONE Active Member

Hi Lynchie - did he slay a Ukrainian dragon as well?
  14. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Probably... he was very indiscriminant about it...
  15. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

St. George was Turkish I believe..... Maybe thats what that unidentifiable Kebab meat is - Dragon!!

We played at Conisborough Castle on the sunday. Our patriotic touches were Standard of St. George and British Sea Songs.
  16. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

some interesting reading on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_George

Saint George was a Roman soldier in what's now known as Turkey
    He's the patron of England, Portugal, Georgia (the country...) and Catalonia
  17. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Good for the patriots...

Yes., AFAIK George was Turkish, Patrick was 'British' - somewhere between Strathclyde & S. Wales (that was Britain at the time), Andrew was the Apostle (Palestine?) and the Welsh chap was Welsh - although the St David that our band is named after was a Scottish king.

(Wales has a famous St David - Scotland's 3 - yes, three - St Davids are not quite so well known....)