Happy Easter everyone!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by super_sop, Dec 28, 2003.

1. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Happy Easter everyone................

What do you mean im early????

mrs super_sop has just returned back from her wonderfull job at a local supermarket and informs me that the easter egs will be on sale soon,they ar are at the back of the store, and now waiting to put out!!!!!

Is it me or is it getting earlier every yaer?

any way, like i said..............

happy easter one and all
  2. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

nothin wrong with getting the cream eggs in early!!
  3. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

Lets through my diet's towel in already.....the easter eggs will win hands down
  4. leisa

leisa Active Member

mmmmmmmm chocolate!!
  5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I see that one of the options in the Radio 4 poll for a Bill to go before Parliament is one banning Christmas advertising and decorations in shops before December, and it does sem to be a growing trend for seasonal items to be on sale for longer and longer periods.

Much as I like Easter eggs (who doesn't?) it is a bit ridiculous when they appear so early, and I don't see that the stores gain by getting them in so soon - all it does is take up shelf space and make them remove other products to make room for them.
  6. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Just kidding! :lol:
  7. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

The reason they pet them out now is that they put at a really expensive price when nobody wants to buy them then reduce them to a normal price a few weeks before easter and claim that this is a sale price.
  8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

A similar thought on book pricing struck me when finding lots of the "must-buy" items at Smiths and Waterstones suddenly marked down to half price as soon as Boxing Day. If they can afford to sell them now at half price, then surely they could sell them at two-thirds of the price from the start :!:

This comes just after I was reading an article on the "incentives" (ie bribes) needed to get your book into the big stores in the first place.
  9. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

Having worked for the same supermarket chain as Mrs Super_Sop (and with the same manager coincidentally), if I remember correctly, the Christmas stuff came into the shops around about 2nd or 3rd week in August. It was stored out in the warehouse for a week or 2 until the beginning of september then the 'seasonal' aisle would be readied and more and more Christmas stock would be put onto it until it was all Christmas stock (usually more than one actual aisle in the shop too). The Christmas orders for Beers, Wines and Spirits (that's where I was) were placed early to mid October and they could be added to as necessary up until Christmas. All this extra stock produced an absolute nightmare in the warehouse especially if it wasn't very big (like ours) as you still had to have 'normal' stocks in too!!!! As soon as CHristmas was over, the Easter stuff would come in (Dec28th usually). We generally found that we had no choice over this stuff, it was allocated to us and we had to have it whether we wanted it or not. All sun creams etc were generally on sale by the time the Christmas period was over too (most of it having arrived mid-late October)

So you see, if you think Christmas and Easter are getting earlier and earlier every year, spare a thought for the poor supermarket staff who have to put up with it a lot longer than the average customer!!!!!

10. EIBB_Ray

EIBB_Ray Member

What happened to Valentine's Day? Stuff around here is just starting to go up for Valentine's day, then we'll get Easter after it's had a moment in the material spotlight.