happy bands need more women?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Mesmerist, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Assuming women and men are equally talented what do you think is the ideal ratio of gender for a happy band?
    My band is 50% women 49% men 1% not sure and the age range is 18 to early 50s and it is usually very happy with everybody getting along
  2. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

We really have come a long way when you consider that when I played for Imps in the 1960/70's, not only were women not admitted as players, but no females were allowed on the band coach.

If you wanted to take your wife or girlfriend to a gig or contest you had to make your own arrangements.

I remember having to go on the train from Leeds to play at the 1967 British Open at Belle Vue Manchester because I wanted to take my girl friend with me.

At one point during my recent long spell with Kippax we had 12 very competent female players.

- Mr Wilx
  3. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

Both my bands seem to have more men than women and they seem quite happy. Gosports age range is between 8 and 80+. Not too sure about spinnakers age range.
  4. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

I'm quite happy to remain one of the 1%
  5. Mesmerist

I think most bands would be happy with your 1% steve
  6. The ISB is 100% male. This is not intentional, it's just the way it is
  7. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

Our band has always had loads of girls in....3 horns, 2 baris, 1 euph, 1 percussionist, 3 backrow.....is roughly what it is at the moment, it has been higher than that though.

To be honest, in this day and age, I don't think it makes any difference whatsoever...what makes a difference is a band that wants to work together for a common set of goals, and who enjoy each other's company. Gender doesn't make a difference.
  8. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

I will get knocked for having this opinion I'm sure, but honesty is the best policy!

We currently have 5 women in our band (all in the cornet section!) and I like it that way. I realise I'm completely generalising, but men are just easier to get along with than women. MOSTLY.

Don't get me wrong, I love the girls in the band and wouldn't be without them there, but if there were too many more it would become a far more feminine environment, and I like being able to get away with acting a little bit like a man from time to time!

That's not to say men are better players than women, because they're not neccessarily!

So....maybe 15-20% female? That's my ideal, anyway!
  9. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

We only have 7 ladies in Cambridge band, but they more than make up for it!
  10. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

I would prefer me and 20 plus single hunky men
  11. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

If 20 hunky men gather in the same place at the same time, the chances are they might be the sort of men who are good with colours (VIZ reference)
  12. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I have a sneaking suspicion that Fulham have more girls than boys. Might be worth a head count...
  13. Mesmerist

Would females be welcome in your band or would this change things for you?
  14. Columbo

Columbo Member

I remember one particular band that missed a Whit Friday as the only Sop player available to play for them was female. That was some ruck that night in the band room on the Monday prior to the contests. I also have experienced band coaches whereas females were not allowed on the bus. That was as recent as the mid 90's!

I have my own opinion on this and am too scared to share it, however the fact is, not many bands suffer due to the mix and players are too few and far between to complain anyway.
  15. Mesmerist

Don`t be scared Columbo. As a serial married man I am sure you are very well trained in the art of sharing your opinion in a clever and safe manner?
  16. SPMPP

SPMPP New Member

Brighouse still don't!

Too many women/girls in the band can cause problems. You know what we are like after a few! ;) However, how would the men cope without us!

So for me it has to be either 100% women/girls or 30% women 70% men, just for the sheer fun of it :biggrin:
  17. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

We did a job up in the wilds of Norfolk some weeks ago , admittedly with a few deps to cover holidays and wedding trips etc and had the following :
    Female Euphs x 2
    " Bari x 1
    " Horns x 3
    " Perc x 2
    " Cornets x 4
    I make that a 50% split on the night. Seemed to work well although couldn't hear much of Robin in the rehearsal over all the talk of shopping and kittens.

I'll get me coat.
  18. Kjata

Kjata Member

Ideally it would be me and 24 young ladies!!!! ;)
  19. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

IMHO most MD's and band sec's would be pleased with 24+ keen & competent players, irespective of Gender or age!
  20. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

I was about to say the same, Vegas.

I don't care who is in the band as long as the band is making progress and gets on with the job.