Hand/ finger problems!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Seedhouse, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Hello, just been practising (because I am actually obsessed! :lol: )
    I was doing some scales, and found after a while my fingers felt very stiff and I couldn't play anything "fluently." :cry:
    Can anyone please help me? Has anyone suffered similar problems and were able to rectify them???
    Help would be much appreciated,
    Alex

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Alex
    finger problems
    similar problems
    Help
    Hand
  3. Tromgod

Tromgod Member

Having played trombone (the instrument of gods) for most of my time I would not know what to do about petty trivial matters such as valves :!:

Oops I now realise that this comment will not be of very much use to you :lol:

4. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Lol! :lol: No it's not much use really!

5. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Try squeezing a soft rubber ball in the palm of your hand, it will eventually stengthen the finger muscles.

:wink:

6. tewkeshorn

tewkeshorn Account Suspended

Can't remember the name of the contraption that was around a few years ago, used to be a mini finger squeezing thing with different 'valves' on powerful springs so you can go round flexing them and building up your finger strength. Then after a while playing normal valves feel light as a feather and in theory. Looked a bit of a gimick to me tho... :?

7. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

somthing like a squash ball. ive heard of this before, and its suposed to work well

8. leisa

leisa Active Member

D'ya mean like a stress ball??

9. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

try your local music shop and buy some bass springs for your valve's, A couple of weeks playing with these and you'll think you're fingers are made of steel!

10. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

not sure about a stress ball, you want to use somthing with a resistance to it that will spring back into shape

11. blondie

blondie Member

Can't help you on your particular problem, but I hope you find an adequate solution.

I do however have experience of wrist and shoulder aching after sustained playing due to the weight of the trom. This would appear to be a reasonably common problem as I have heard other bonists complain of this and also succumbing to cramp in the fingers due to the combined stresses of the weight and trigger positionings.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Alex
    finger problems
    similar problems
    Help
    Hand
  13. titch

titch Member

I developed carpal tunnel syndrome due to playing the trumpet too much. I nearly lost my hand and now only have limited use of the fingers on my right hand, so be careful! I would advise getting it checked out if it continues before its too late!!!

14. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

BE CAREFUL!!!! Take it slowly and see your GP about it before it becomes a real problem - they may be able to help with physio and/or special exercises.

I developed CTS in my right wrist when I changed to a very keyboard-based job, and hr tried to blame it on brass & piano playing even though I'd never had any trouble before. It almost always hurts now when I play, and I've had to choose between living with it or having an op and risking losing dexterity for anything between 6 months and forever.

15. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

the last couple of comments are very important... RSI's and similar conditions are common with musicians... (believe me)...

So, be careful, relax, rest when you need to, dont over-do things...

My condition developed from doctors thinking I had RSI (playing a lot of drums at the time did actually make sense) when I was about 18, to that being a mis-diagnoses and 2 years later (now a couple of months ago) was told I had a chronic viral fatigue syndrome, which has infected my spine... (the symptoms spreaded from my hands, fingers, arms, to my upper back and neck, then lower back and legs in a matter of about 2 years...) I have all symptoms of MS, ME, RSI and this fatigue syndrome... so it wouldnt surprise me if I get another misdiagnoses... :roll:

I've been seeing a chiropractor for a year and a half or so and had physio for 6 weeks... the chiro has been of good benefit and many chiropractors have seen people with RSI's. Expensive yes, worth it, yes!
    The physio turned round after the 6 weeks and said there was nothing they could do for me...

But, not to scare anyone in thinking thats what will happen to you, cos I'm sure it wont... the best way of preventing any form of RSI, is to control the amount you do...
    As I say, be careful, relax, rest when you need to and don't over-do things... it's the best prevention and cure.

Keep smiling :)

16. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

so you mean all this practice avoidance I do is good for me? Excellent!

17. tubatu

tubatu Member

I had been suffering the same sort of twinges etc in my fingers and wrists for ages.
    I decided to try some massage oil and found one called Canabalm Hand Massage Oil, the idea being that 15 to 30 minutes before playing, you massage it in to your hands for about 15 minutes, this has the added benefit of warming your hands up and helping the blood flow.
    I've been using this for about a month now and before I set off for a rehearsal or concert, I go through the masage routine.
    I have found that I can go through a whole job without feeling any discomfort or pain. This may not work for everyone but it has worked for me.

18. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Where did you get it from?

19. tubatu

tubatu Member

I bought it via Ebay, £6.95.

20. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

also try evening primrose oil as this is also good for the joints.

21. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Chinese remadees (spelling!!!!) are pretty good...
    I've used "Wood Lock medicated Balm"... just massage it into the affected area... costs £5, from where I dont know because a friend picked it up for me... If anyone does get this dont use too much else you'll stink of the stuff! :lol:

:wink:

22. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

If you're getting muscular rather than tendon/rsi-type pain, try the "Wiccy Magic Muscles" massage bar from Lush. Looks & smells wierd, but feels fab. It also lasts for ages so works out dead cheap!