Hammonds Saltaire

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by hautboy3000, Feb 24, 2009.

1. hautboy3000

hautboy3000 New Member

Hello. I have recently heard that hammonds saltaire (formally YBS) have to come in the top four bands at the yorkshire regionals to stay in the championship section. Is this true? I am a big fan of YBS and their Kings of Europe CDs and think it would be a travesty for them to fall from the upper tier of the banding movement, especially as they are one of the British Opens most flourishing bands.
  2. jonesbp

jonesbp Member

This isn't strictly true, top four would increase their chances of staying up but depends on how the other bands in the section do. Technically, they could win it and still be relegated but this would be unlikely and would involve the current top four being in the bottom four at this years contest.
    However that said, if they come below 8th they are guaranteed to be relegated to the 1st section.
  3. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

These things happen... success isn't guaranteed... I'm sure the members of Hammonds Saltaire are working their hardest to ensure that it doesn't happen, but if it does, it's unfortunate, but rules are rules.
  4. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

If you have a look at the Yorkshire site pre-contest grading tables here you will see that they are current at the bottom but are 1 point behind Marsden and 3 points behind the next 2 bands.

The bands with the highest two sets of points taken over three years technically get relegated - so your assumption is probably about right - of course it all depends where the other bands come in the results.
  5. hautboy3000

hautboy3000 New Member

I cannot see YBS on their current form beating the likes of Brighouse, Dyke and Grimethorpe. Also with listening to Hepworths performance of Harrisons Dream at Butlins, and Rothwell almost always strong, I dont think they will be able to break into the top half. It is such a shame that such a great name will most probably be relagated.
  6. Jayboy

Jayboy New Member

It is unfortunate for them but they arent the same band they were, but if they did go down i'm sure they would bounce straight back up. You never know what might happen at the area, remember 2007!
  7. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

I worked out that they could stay up if they came ninth. I'm at school at the minute so i cant get onto the grading tables but if a band, (i think yorkshire imps) come 12th and the other band (marsden i think) come 11th, then all hammonds have to do is come 9th to stay up. (i think)
  8. jonesbp

jonesbp Member

In this case they would be a tie for relegation in which case 3 bands would go down - Saltaire being one of them.
  9. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I think relegation from championship to 1st section would not influence their participation in the British Open. Is that correct?
    I think there have already been 1st section bands that have competed in the Brritish Open before.
  10. jonesbp

jonesbp Member

The British Open has it's own qualification (that being the Grand Shield in Blackpool) so being a first section band will not prevent them from taking part in the British Open but I think what Hautboy was saying is that it would be a shame for a 'flourishing' British Open band to be competing in the 1st section at Nationals.
  11. jonesbp

jonesbp Member

and look at Jaguar (coventry) starting the year 2nd from bottom in the midlands (with only a 0.5 gap between them and the bottom). Similar situation for them.
  12. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

That is of course assuming the Marsden and Imps want to come 11th and 12th respectively - would imagine they'll both be aiming for higher than that.
  13. jonesbp

jonesbp Member

Ashton-under-lyne were a first section band competing in the British Open
  14. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

same with Besses and umpteen other 'name' bands that the same thing has happened to over the years. Now they are only 'name' bands in brass band history books until they come up again :)
  15. Owen

Owen Member

These things happen... I can remember competing against Carlton Main in the 1st section back in the 1990s when they briefly dropped a section. Life in the Championship section is tough in Yorkshire and a good pedigree is no guarantee of tenure.
  16. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

Am i right that there is also some complicated rule regarding bands who have folded - where they are still included in the total result for 2 years after they cease to exist?? ......or did i imagine that bit???
  17. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Isnt that to do primarily with bands that dont compete? That is to say a band may not attend and after 2 years it drops out the lists.

However presummably this only applies to a band that still pays annual membership. If the band has folded then why should it remain in the section? For example Darley Dale moved down the gradings as they didnt compete but hadnt quite folded.

And conversley YBS Concert are still in the table even though they are not competing this year but Pennine arent as clearly they dont exist. If the name is left in it would of course reduce the number of real bands that can get relegated.
  18. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

On the Yorkshire Championship site there are two notes

In Championship Pre-Contest Grading - Pennine Brass have been removed as they unfortunately ceased to exist

In 1st Section - Sellers have been removed as they unfortunately ceased to exist.

Which would imply that technically Sellers had been relegated to the 1st Section then removed where as Pennine have been removed immediately.

What's odd is that Sellers got "relegated" from Championship for not competing in 2008 even though they had disbanded in Jan yet Pennine arent included. So last year only one real band relegated - this year it will be two
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  19. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

And then there's Tongwynlais in South Wales - Grand Shield at Blackpool, 1st Section in Welsh Championships.
    There's usually a silver lining in every cloud, though....at least we get to play Pentacle instead of that Vinter piece.......
  20. Al

Al Member