Hammonds Hawley Band Reunion

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by Malcolm Dibb, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Malcolm Dibb

Malcolm Dibb New Member

We are attempting to search out as many players from the Hammonds Hawley Band as possible and once we have contacts we would love to arrange a reunion sometime in 2008.

If you played with the Band and have contact details of others then please send me details.

It would be great to get everyone together again after all these years.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Sauce
    Barry Waddington
    Hammonds
    Lewington Yamaha
  3. derekdawson

derekdawson Member

I was at Hammonds (senior)? band 1977/8 does that count or is it just the Hawley band?

4. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

Best of luck on the organising of what should be a great do. I played with Hammond Hawley from 1990 to 1991 when I was at Bradford College. We came 3rd at the Nationals as well!! :clap:

5. Anonymous_user

Anonymous_user New Member

Are you interested in the band that was just known as Hammonds Hawley? The reason I ask is:-

Hawley was the junior band to the main Hammonds Sauce Works Band

Hammonds Sauce split and became Lewington Yamaha

The Hawley Band was then given the new title:- Hammonds Sauce works band.

This then became Yorkshire Building Society Band and now known as YBS

6. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

I think the bit you missed out was that Hawley became a senior band at some point, late 1970's? Definately when I was around in the early '80's they were effectively Hammonds 'B' band and contested as such.
    There were a few members of Hawley who helped Wilsden Band in their early days again in the early '80's - Steve Williams, Stuart Crighton, etc. helped Wilsden every now and then. Those guys were not from any junior band, knowing the beer they could put away at the Delvers Arms in Heaton, Bradford.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  7. Seaweed

Seaweed Member

I was born in to the junior band, my parents were members when i was born. I then went on to play the cornet, and when i was old enough we all started playing in the then Yorkshire Building Society Junior Band, and i moved up to the Concert Band.

My parents are Graham and Janet Reid (Bass and then Tenor horn), please contact them through myself

8. Anonymous_user

Sorry I meant to say Hammonds B

9. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

It's all a bit of a blur. ;)

10. Malcolm Dibb

Malcolm Dibb New Member

Initially we were trying to get together the Hammonds B members which was formed from Hammonds Juniors when we all reached 19 .
    Correct we then changed the name to that of Hawley Band as we moved up through the sections.Hope this clarifies things.

11. peatair

peatair Member

Hammonds was a terrific set up. My father played cornet with the original Hammonds Band and he and Mr Hawley were great friends. [They were previously at Saltaire and, I think, before that at Bradford City Band with Harry Grace]. Around 1952 the decided to form a "junior band" and that was when I started to learn. The conductor was then Harry Coleman. Later, Gersham Collison (previously at Black Dyke on sop) became conductor of both bands. In 1957 both bands qualified for the National Finals - the junior band in the 4th section and the senior band in the 1st section (I think it then was). In 1963 I left the bands there to start at University and work! A fantastic childhood with great people. All the best with your reunion. Peter Hargreaves.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Sauce
    Barry Waddington
    Hammonds
    Lewington Yamaha
  13. Iain Fleming

Iain Fleming Member

Hi, I played with the Hammonds Sauce Works Band during 1979. We were runners-up in the Yorkshire area, went to Canada for two weeks, and played at the Open and National finals. It was a great introduction the big time, particularly playing along side legends such as Bob Davidson, Leslie Smail, Peter Wells, Melvin Bathgate and Steve Fielden. I had a great time and big Geoff Whitham was a great help with my playing.

Horace Hawley was also a great help, finding me digs in Baildon and introducing me to the original Harry Ramsden's at Guisley.

Yep them were the days.

Iain Fleming (Whitburn Band)

14. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I depped with them once on back row at some open air fete around 1988/89ish (could be wrong about the year, the old grey matter aint what it used to be), does that count?? ;)

15. tuba1974

tuba1974 Member

the great legends of hammonds, one of them now plays with hebden bridge. I played 2nd baritone for a few months when brian broadbent conducted the band.

16. Statto

Statto Member

Wow, you learn something every day! Until now, I had assumed that the (current) YBS band was the same band that competed as Hammonds Sauce and played in the National Finals 8 times between 1957 and 1980. Certainly, that's the way 4BR have it in their National previews.

If you are correct, then the current YBS band was formed from the 'embers' of the Hammonds Sauce Works band but not THE original Hammonds band. Yes? That would also mean that YBS cannot be deemed to have won Brass in Concert in 1978 or the Grand Shield in 1989 either.

So, in terms of the Yorkshire Area, is this correct?

1984 - the original Hammonds Sauce band competed in the Ch section and Hammonds Hawley in a lower section

1985 - the original Hammonds Sauce band competed in the Ch section under their new name, Lewington Yamaha, with Hammonds Hawley (now renamed Hammonds Sauce Works) also competing in the same section

1986 to 1989 - both bands, Lewington Yamaha and Hammonds Sauce Works, competed in the Ch section

1990 - the last appearance of Lewington Yamaha, now called Lewington Yorkshire, in the Ch section. Hammonds Sauce Works also competed

1991 to 1993 - Hammonds Sauce Works (formerly Hammonds Hawley) competed in the Ch section. Lewington Yorkshire now defunct?

1994 - sponsorship by YBS gives us the Yorkshire Building Society band under David King, with a direct lineage back to the Hammonds Hawley band (also known as Hammonds B at some stage?)

There, that's confusing isn't it?!

Just one more thing though. The YBS website talks about there being 3 bands when YBS came in as sponsors and that all three bands carried on under their new name:

1) Yorkshire Building Society
    2) Yorkshire Building Society Hawley (which became what is now called YBS Concert Brass)
    3) Yorkshire Building Society Juniors

This suggests that there was a (new) Hammonds Hawley band in late 1993, so was this formed when the original Hammonds Hawley band was renamed Hammonds Sauce Works after the Lewington split?

I'd be very keen to pin down the genealogy of these various Hammonds bands so please reply if you have first-hand knowledge.

Thanks

17. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

There was a "Yorkshire Relish Band" in the late 1980's which I believe was sponsored by whichever company owned Hammonds Sauce works.
    This band was the old "Leeds Model Band" (est 1857) which had previously variously appeared as "The Cameron Ironworks Band", "The John Waddington Band" and eventually became "The Yorkshire Evening Post Band"
    I believe the YEP Band merged with the "Sharlston Colliery Band" a few years ago, and although the YEP Band still exists, I am told it only operates as a 10 piece.
    The Hammonds sponsored "Yorkshire Relish Band" was conducted by Graham Walker, ex Principal Cornet at Imps.
    If you google "Yorkshire Evening Post Band" there is a website with all the band history.
    - Wilkie

18. Anonymous_user

From my knowledge you are correct in every respect.......

Many thanks for the facts and dates

Simon Gresswell
    ex Hammonds Sauce Works (Original)
    ex Yorkshire Building Societs
    ex YBS

19. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I started playing at YBS Juniors! I was persuaded into becoming a bass player by Seaweed who posted earlier, and never really looked back.

Albeit the term 'Junior' by then referred to ability and not age. Several players were approaching 60 at the time, and I was one of the younger ones at 21 when I started! (This would be 2000.)

Due to confusion in bookings, like turning up and finding jelly, ice cream and lemonade had been laid on for a busload of kids (Not that I minded!) YBS Juniors later renamed itself YBS Community Brass. This was in 2003-4, probably about 6 months before I left. That said though, the stand banners still said 'Junior' right to the last gig I did, so how formal that name change was, I don't know.

Stuart Derrick had the stick back then and we used to rehearse at Dixons Technology College in West Bowling in Bradford. Ah happy days....

We thought about trying to go for the 4th section, but there was division amongst the players as some had had their fill of contesting earlier in their careers and just wanted to play concerts.

Alas, those who did fancy contesting, myself included, generally moved on to competing bands, and that was the last contact I had.

As for how the Junior band now fares, or even if it still exists, I can't say. I hope it's still going somewhere.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  20. Steveo

Steveo New Member

Statto
    I'd like to take issue with some of your facts.
    I played with Hammonds Hawley (fourth section) in 1987, and there was still a Hammons Sauce Works Band (top section). Hawley played in a converted church at the bottom of Baildon whereas Sauce still played in the band room on the right hand side of the loading yard at the Sauce works in Apperley Bridge. Sauce were a terrific band conducted by, at that time, Geoff Whitam, whereas Hawley were a struggling outfit conducted by George Morgan.
    I don't know where Lewington Yamaha fitted in to the picture (although they were playing in the top section when I played with Kippax in the early 90's), but Hawley never became Sauce, as far as I'm aware.

21. barrytone

barrytone Member

Hi Steveo, I played in the band in '87 too, I played solo horn. We're you there when we did the area contest in the 4th section on Stantonbury Festival? Happy Memories! Sadly George is no longer with us, but I still think about the terrible jokes he told at concerts, remember I bought him a joke book because I got so fed up of hearing the jokes over and over again!

You're quite right, we did rehearse in that church hall with the outside toilets with no doors on! I don't think we had anything to do with Lewingtons, know several people who did but they weren't linked to Hammonds Hawley. Think that YBS Concert are the band that were Hammonds Hawley, if I am correct. Seems an age ago, well it was 20 years since I played there!

22. Steveo

Steveo New Member

Hello Barrytone
    Yes, I was rep at the '87 Yorkshire area with Hammonds Hawley.
    I don't have as fond memories as you. It was my first 'proper' contest, and I found Stantonbury Festival the most uninspiring piece of music, conducted in the most uninspiring fashion. I was about to give the whole game away to devote more time to my nascent interests in beer and skirt. Anyway, after the area I went to Kippax where, although they were struggling in the top section, I immediately had the best experience of my lbanding life, competing on Paegentry under Tony Whittaker's direction.

When I was last in pommie-land, I bumped into a chap in the Prince of Wales in Leeds, who is Tony's mate. What is Tony doing these days? I loved that man.
    Paul