Halloween Costume

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by bigmamabadger, Oct 18, 2006.

1. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

LittleBabyBadger wants to be a ghost for the Rainbows Halloween party. Now I know what will happen:
    1) I find an old bedsheet, cut a couple of holes in it and send her off to the party. She hates it and wants something more fancy.
    2) I spend hours making a White-Lady-style confection in lace and satin, and make her face up with luminous white paint. She hates it and wants something less fancy.
    Any brilliant ideas for something kind of in between those two scenarios so that I don't feel guilty for not putting in the effort and dooming my darling to social death, and that I don't feel guilty for putting in too much effort and dooming my darling to social death?
    BigMamaBadger in Rainbows etiquette dilemma
    xx

2. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

Maybe discuss the ideas with Little Baby Badger and find out how plain/fancy she wants it. Let her help you organise and make it, that way she will be pleased with whatever the outcome cos it's had her input.
    And take some cute photos for me!! :tongue:

3. annieds

annieds Member

I would put her in white 'everyday' clothes and a luminous white face with fancy and psychedelic eye make-up.
    My babies are now quite grown up but at halloween we answer the door to 'trick and treaters' with a huge bowl of wrapped sweeties with one of our beautiful rats in it. The children have to reach high, so they don't know about the rat until they feel her. It's amazing how many older children are scared and how many younger children come back for another go. The rats are unbothered. They each only do about 15 minutes and we don't allow them to be handled, so that's OK

4. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

you could cut two holes in the white bed sheet and trim it with white lace! isn't that sort of in betweeny? I want to be a fairy for our halloween party but apparently thats not halloweeny enough! :(

5. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

Buy a pumpkin outfit at Tesco!
    I want an adult sized one!!!!!!
    I want one!
    I want one!
    Mam, can I?....

6. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Ignore Halloween altogether like me! Stupid American Trick or Treat thing really annoys me. Or you could take her to Tesco's where they appear to have a Fancy Dress range for Halloween this year and let her choose her own costume.

7. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Ditto - when I get asked at the door "Trick or treat?" I always reply "Treat please" and help myself to the contents of the offered goody bag - confuses the hell out of them.

8. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hey BMB, I shall dig out some pics of Heather in her previous years costumes. Jen did a gand job of making her look scary... with makeup, bandages, cobweb stuff etc - together it made for a fantastic effect.

Later today hopefully when I have some of my client work out of the way.

9. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

In this day and age I am amazed that people will let their kids take sweets from strangers. Who knows what things they are being fed? Laxatives, Ecstasy, LSD? Too risky for my liking, glad it wasn't around when my kids were young. And a 'Trick' seems to be an excuse to commit Criminal Damage on your property.

10. annieds

annieds Member

A friend of mine went T&T with her youngster in Canada and all children had to be accompanied by an adult because people were putting razor blades and laxatives into cakes. Nasty. I haven't heard of it happening here, but you never know. At least my rats (pretty, clean little things, not the sewer type) just make them jump and smile. And they get sweeties too.

I must admit, we have never been tricked.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Rainbows Halloween
    Halloween Costume LittleBabyBadger
    social death
    kind
    White-Lady-style confection
  12. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I don't let my kids do it for that reason. You can't trust that they'll be safe enough if you let them go themselves. We normally have a pumpkin slaughtering session (well, that's what it normally ends up being) and then a bit of a party in house, but the trick or treating is out of bounds for my lot. It's basically begging from strangers and you spend the rest of their lives imploring them not to do things like that! :-?

13. honey bun

honey bun Active Member

(A witch ghost!)Witches hat, ghoulish makeup and a black bin bag for the cape.
    When my kids were young they used to go in a group with a least 1 adult. You never know who's door they are knocking on (sad to say). Why can't kids just have fun.

14. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

Good - Glad it's not just me being a grumpy B****** (although I am!!!)

15. gawber

gawber Active Member

Bah Humbug!!!

I love to see the little ones in their costumes when they come to my door. They are nearly always accompanied by an adult, usually in fancy dress too. I buy packs of sweets which are sealed and put them in a plastic pumpkin.

I also wear a mask so as not to frighten them too much when I answer the door ;)

16. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Anyone watch countdown today? Something along the lines of carol vodermans outfit should do the trick- it was white and pretty frightening!

17. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

We get round this with our 4 year old by trick or treating friends and family. We tell Alex that we are going to see if neighbours / friends / family will recognise him in his costume and try and 'scare them'. He loves the idea of 'tricking' people he knows into thinking he is not really little adorable Alex, but a scary pumpkin monster. (this is an improvement - he originally wanted to go dressed as Peter Pan :))

Costs a bomb, we usually nip rond beforehand and give them some sweets to give to him and also ask them if this is OK. Works well on our road for this year, most other families are doing the same and the dads are coming out too. Any chavs in the vicinity should be scared off by the men folk of my road lurking around the houses. Some of the older residents seem happy that the majority of door knockers that night will be people known to them.

I used to be plagued by trick or treaters at an old house but once I started answering the door whilst sharpening a kitchen knife, they went away :confused:

Good points from 2ndMan but bringing up children is full of hypocrosy. We tell them off for hitting someone but tell them it is fine to hit someone back if they hit you etc etc etc etc etc

18. annieds

annieds Member

I still can't quite cope with the Father Christmas dilemma; don't talk to strangers but you can sit on the lap of this strange bearded man.

19. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

I was never allowed to trick or treat... mainly because the 31st's my birthday, but I'm glad now - I don't agree with it. i'm all for halloween parties though, had my fair share of them... brilliant fun!

20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- nothing personal, but the import of the American trick or treat makes me squirm ... keep our traditions very alive! In Scotland, guising is on the wain now as well. Never see kids dressed in old adult clothes with faces blackened with soot any longer going out collecting money by singing, dancing or whatever. :frown:

21. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Ooooh yeh!!! I want one of them too!!!! :(

Last yr at haloween, my friend walked into ASDA and bought one of the kiddies costumes there, and claimed it was for her little sister! She was soo embarassed when I turned round and said.. "but Ruth, you don't have a little sister" it was great! :biggrin::biggrin:

At our party last yr, I just wore all black an back combed all of my hair and sprayed it pink, and Mad face make up! And people even said I suited the look and thought i should wear more eyeliner!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Rainbows Halloween
    Halloween Costume LittleBabyBadger
    social death
    kind
    White-Lady-style confection