Hallelujah Chorus, Handel

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Alan Fernie, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Alan Fernie

Alan Fernie Member

Just looking for an arrangement of the above for a concert at the end of this month. The choir we are playing for sing it in C. We have an ancient one in the library in Eb, and among the others I can find, Howard Lorriman's is in D and Philip Sparke's is in Bb. I could do one in the key we need it in, but I'd rather use an existing one if there's one out there. Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
  2. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

There is an old Salvation Army arrangement. Think it was by Albert Jakeway, but not 100% certain of that. My recollection is that it was in Concert 'C', but again, I'm not completely sure. World Of Brass can probably help.

Edit: Again. I'm not sure (seems like I'm not sure of anything!), but I think the arrangement was in the old Favourite Band Journals No.3 "Blue Book", if you can borrow a set from somewhere.
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  3. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Gareth, you're right about it being in the SA Blue Book, but I'm not sure about the key - think it's concert C.

Alan, Hawick SA Band might have a set of SA blue favourite books. You could ask them.
  4. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

I have it in Bb at PDF Brass and could supply you a copy in C if required.
  5. Alan Fernie

Alan Fernie Member

Thanks for the replies and offers of help. We've got one from the local Salvation Army band.
  6. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

It was actually by Brigadier Arthur Goldsmith - I found it for Alan in an old "Ordinary Series" journal as my Corps band doesn't have a full set of Blue favourites. Number 827!! Well old (and the books stank!!)
  7. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

The original is in concert D (ie. E or B major for banders) so perhaps they've done you a favour (as well as themselves) by lowering it a tone.

Reading this thread has reminded me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DBAoWr-imY - audio required; listen to the VERY end for full effect.
  8. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  9. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

Not extemporisation - a slip of the electronic transposer, I imagine (something I've experienced myself - accidentally left the organ transposed up a tone and got complaints that the hymns were too high) :)