Halle in Nottingham

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Giohorn, May 27, 2004.

1. Giohorn

Giohorn New Member

Spent my Wednesday night off from preperation of the Masters, listening to the Halle Orchestra in the Royal Concert Hall in Nottingham.

Highlight of the programe (as well as the Ravel Piano Concerto for the Left Hand) was Strauss' epic, Alpine Symphony.

It was great to see many brass band musicians within the brass section. It was a magnificent performance, and the brass where on great form throughout the concert. :D

If you don't know the Alpine, it's worth getting hold of a recording, just to hear how orchestral brass can be used with all its power and sheer volume, it allways blows me away!! :p

The evening was rounded off with a few pints and a good old curry.... :oops:

Hello to the two Clarinet players with the RAF Regiment Band.......hope you enjoyed the Strauss. :p

Solo Horn Ransomes
  2. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Damn! When I saw the title of this thread, I thought that that actress Halle Berry was going to be visting the UK! ;-)
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Glad you enjoyed the concert - one of my favourite Strauss works :wink:

Better not shout too loud though - all those french horns :shock: :oops: :wink:
  4. Frosty

Frosty Member

Glad you enjoyed the concert.It was a really tight fit with everyone on stage for Alpine Symphony.

We had a curry before the gig started!!!

Mark Frost

Bass Trombone Grimethorpe Colliery
  5. Giohorn

Giohorn New Member

What curry house did you go too? I know most of them in Nottingham!! :oops:

Was the wind machine given a bit of competition during the Alpine!? :shock:

Solo Horn Ransome 8)
  6. deezastar

deezastar Member

Bet the dressing room smelt....fragrant!
  7. Dawnys_flug

Dawnys_flug Member

I went to see Halle last night at the Bridgewater.
    They were excellent and all very friendly when me and my two friends were backstage in the interval waiting for her dad. Thankyou!
  8. Frosty

Frosty Member

Sorry for the delay in replying.Been busy!!

We went for a curry in the place right behind the theatre.Bit pricey but food was good!

I think we beat the wind machine :p

9. Giohorn

Giohorn New Member

Frosty I think thats' the Mogul E'Azam (?) :?

It has been good over the 10 years I've been living in Nottingham, but I hav'nt eaten there for a year or so now.

Had a great one on Sunday night in Cambridge :oops: (well against my control!) :roll:

10. Frosty

Frosty Member

I'm in Nottingham again next week with The Rat Pack.
    Only doing the Wednesday but I'm sure I'll be in the same place for my tea!!!

11. Giohorn

Giohorn New Member

Let me recommend the most amazing curry house over in Hockley. :p Its called City Spice. From the concert hall head down the hill towards Market Square and face the Council House with the 2 lions outside. Go behind that building and go up Pelham Street. When you reach the top of the hill look to your left for a small road with a kebab shop on the right and an old bank on the left, City Spice is on the left about 50 yards down. Believe me I think it is the best in town, maybe a bit pricey but if you are a curry fan it's a must matey!! :wink:

I saw the ad for your gig, let me know how it goes, have fun! :D

12. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

I'll second that - city spice is rather good, bit of a hike from the concert hall though (in brass bander terms).
  13. Frosty

Frosty Member

Thanks for the info.As there's 2 shows that day probably won't have enough time to get there and back!!

I'll remember that for next time though.