Half Life 2

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by rutty, Dec 2, 2004.

1. rutty

rutty Active Member

Anyone else bought this game? My poor, poor wrists! I got it on Tuesday and I can't stop playing it, including the excellent Deathmatch option. It's a bit of a pain to install (lengthy) but it looks and plays superbly.

Another late night for me tonight then :)
  2. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

My brother has it :) great game... :cool:

He pre-ordered Doom3 aaaages ago as well and got it a few weeks back (now theres a cracking game!)... He loves it... I'll be playing it no doubt when I get back home for Chrimbo hols
  3. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

My boyfriend has it and he is addicted as well :rolleyes: don't play games myself (probably because I am so rubbish at them!)
  4. rutty

rutty Active Member

I'm rubbish at it too - doesn't stop me from getting into a Deathmatch and getting slaughtered. Repeatedly :D
  5. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

unfortunately my pc wouldnt play anything like these gamesas the graphics card was to small:-(

All changed now though as i have my new pc up and running! Doom 3 looks absolutely fabulous on it, halflife 2 is next on my list!
    bring it on!:p
  6. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

My first opinion on this is how customer-unfriendly valve are on this

I quote from the valve support site on what to do if one has trouble with a CD key
    Also, yes, there still exist people with decent pcs and no internet connections. Valve have made it an absolute pain in the gilhoolies for these people with their web based installs.
    I understand the reasoning, but it's a bit heavy handed, IMO.
  7. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I bought it when it was released but unfortunately it has only highligted how way behind current "must have" level of tech my PC is. Been spending too much time with the XBOX and the Mac recently. Anyway it's given me the impetus needed to kickstart a £450 spending spree to upgrade the old PC to something a bit more cutting edge. Great game by the way - even at 10 frames per second.
  8. rutty

rutty Active Member

Yes, when people have genuine problems like this it sucks. Valve have made it too hard for the genuine gamer to play their game.

However, let's not forget that they're just protecting their investment - a lot of work and money has gone into making this game, and there are plenty of idiots out there that don't want to pay for it and play it anyway. It's the pirates that have forced Valves hands here - I don't particularly like the way they treat genuine purchasers, plus the Steam servers are a little overloaded too, but Steam actually might be a useful feature once they iron out a few problems.

It's a fantastic game too. I had great fun last night with the Gravity gun. :)
  9. Keppler

Dave, I'm not knocking the concept. I have a lot of experience in deployment software myself, and in fact have implemented piracy-control mechanisms directly into the operational software, requiring physical activation by calling me up on the phone. It all depends on the scale of the enterprise. I was able to get away with this method, because
    a) our software licences retail at about £60,000
    b) I am dealing with a small, tangible group of clients.

While I understand Valve's methods, I think that they're making a few unreasonable assumptions across an enormous customer base, and that they are coming over (to my mind) as assuming that anyone who has a problem is in the wrong.
    Of course they're protecting their investment, why wouldn't they? They need to work a little on their customer messaging though, and tweak their distribution mechanism a little.
    My copy of HL2 sits on the shelf, uninstallable.
  10. rutty

rutty Active Member

This is true - there are plenty of complaints in the Steam forums about the way that they're handling this, and quite rightly so. I think Steam has become a bit overwhelmed with the number of people using it recently, not suprisingly I suppose, but still frustrating.

Hope you manage to get yours sorted out :)
  11. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

When I saw the thread title and this first sentence, I did begin to wonder whether this was the forthcoming 'Playboy' game that has been referred to in some games magazines....

12. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I should add that my last post was entirely in jest! No offence intended! I can't play games like that anyway. Far too complicated for my brain. I like the simplistic golf games. Not much brainpower needed to play them. Still, just got Pro Evolution Soccer 4 on the XBOX. Bye bye FIFA 2005......
  13. Keppler

There you go... another serious conversation Paynified...
  14. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

As I implied, 'tis only 'cos I'm jealous that I don't have the nous to play those type of games! Sorry, Kepps.... (and I'm rubbish at all those games in the tMP 'fun' area!)
  15. rutty

rutty Active Member

You don't need to be especially clever to run around and shoot stuff. ;)

I'm rubbish at that sort of thing too, but it doesn't stop me from enjoying doing it. Plus, I never take offence at jests involving me and wrist-activity. It's to be expected :D
  16. T-Horn

T-Horn Member

still aint competed half life 1 yet. keep struggling on one stupid bit!!
  17. rutty

rutty Active Member

Understandable. You've only had six years to finish it ;)

(also not finished it)
  18. T-Horn

T-Horn Member

where are you supposed to go when you enter the alien world!! I just gave up after about week.
  19. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

(It's been a while since I played, can't remember where the start of the alien bit is)

Is that the bit where you are on a floating block? And there are other blocks floating around? You need to use the long jump thing to get down to the bottom. You can then get inside the big thing at the bottom.

20. IcklePablo

IcklePablo Member

no offence tho any hardcore half life fans on here, but i think halo and halo 2 really show half life(s) up. Can't beat good ole halo. it's a swarve game.