Hadleigh Temple Guest Night, Sat 12th June 2004

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by PeterBale, Apr 19, 2004.

1. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

• GUEST NIGHT

HADLEIGH TEMPLE CORPS
      (London Road, Hadleigh, Essex)

featuring

Kevin Ashman - Cornet

Mark Giles - Euphonium

Hadleigh Band & Singing Company

7pm, Saturday 12th June

Tickets £5 (conc £4)
      Contact 017 0258 267 1

Programme to include "Golden Slippers" and "Song of the Brother" - further details to follow.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hadleigh Temple Guest
    GUEST NIGHT
    Hadleigh
    Song of the Brother
  3. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

And just to wind up Beard_4b:

It would be great to hear Mark's rendition of Golden Slippers and Kev's of Song of the Brother :!: :)

4. beard_4b

beard_4b Member

at least a euphonium has valves on which to play the solo :wink:

5. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

And Mark could certainly play it!

6. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

Is it easier or more difficult if you have four valves to choose from :?:

7. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

I thinks it's easier and better sounding if you have no valves, just a slide :p :p

Will try and get there for this one Peter. Mark is certainly a class euphonium player.

8. PeterBale

Further programme details now available for this concert, which takes place this Saturday, 12th June:

Solo items will include the afore-mentioned "Golden Slippers" and "Song of the Brother", together with "Someone Cares" (Larsson arr Steadman Allen), "Spirit of Life" (Catherwood), "David of the White Rock" (arr Bowes) and the cornet/euphonium duet "I'll not turn back".

Apart from the seven solo/duet accompaniments the band will be playing the march "Concord" (written by American Richard Spicer) and Eric Ball's "The Kingdom Triumphant", and the Singing Company (junior choir) will be singing items from their forthcoming recording.

Although ticket sales are going well, there will be plenty available on the door as we can seat 400 :wink:

9. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Peter, for the record: Richard Spicer, who died just a few years ago, was an English expatriate in the USA. He came from the Midlands. He was the DMD in the Empire State division (NY), then similar in California, not sure exactly where.

10. PeterBale

Are you sure he's dead, Brian, only the way our BM introduced the music when we first looked at it was that he had "just received it from his friend in America"? He was/is bandmaster at the Concord Corps, and I have a couple of the band's recordings with him at the rostrum, and containing a number of his own compositions.

The recordings were from 1995 ("New Pastures") and 1997 ("Synchronization"), the title track sounding to be quite a fiendish euphonium solo :wink:

11. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

I'm afraid so. Richard died in 1996. A friend of mine went to his funeral in California. His wife Yvonne is still alive and lives in the Concord, CA area.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hadleigh Temple Guest
    GUEST NIGHT
    Hadleigh
    Song of the Brother
  13. Razor

Razor Member

Richard Spicer was the BM of Concord corps band when they toured Scotland @97/98 and I believe, as Brian stated, he died at a relatively young age not long after that tour. If I remember right he was a bass trom player who studied at Birmingham and played professionally in the midlands area before moving to the US.

14. PeterBale

Thanks for the confirmation, folks, and I'll pass it on to our Compere for Saturday. (Busy practice coming up on Thursday night, as the two soloists are coming down to sort out tempo etc)

15. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

Quoting from the tour brochure for Concord Band's tour of Northern Ireland, Scotland and England in March - April 1997:

"Bandmaster Richard J Spicer has been the Band's conductor since 1990. He graduated from the Birmingham Conservatory in England with degrees in Trombone, Piano and Coducting. Before moving to the United States in 1985, he had a successful and varied career as a professional musician. He played bass trombone with the East of England Orchestra and the Midland Brass Quintet and tought widely in schools and colleges. He played with several of the (Salvation) Army's top brass bands and was the conductor of the Birmingham Sparkhill and Nottingham Memorial Halls Songster groups.
    As Divisional Music Director for the Salvation Army in New York, he formed and developed the Empire Brass Youth Band and Chorus, and led that group on a successful and wide ranging tour of the British Isles. Moving to the West Coast he has expanded his activities as Music Director for the Del Oro Division and the Concord Corps and tirelessly continues to encourage the formation and growth of new brass and vocal groups. Notably he is responsible for the San Francisco Bay Area Band and the A Capella Plus singing group which he led on a tour of Hawaii, Malaysia and the Philippines in 1994. He also has primary responsibility for the Concord Band and corps musical sections."

I was shocked when I heard about his death in September of that year.

16. ivorbiginstrument

ivorbiginstrument New Member

Good old Salvation Army Band, still playing the up-to date, newest pieces i see !! :lol:

17. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

As tMP Newbie, with only a few posts - I don't feel you have got off to a good start here.

I was going to send a PM to you, but thought I'd share my message with all tMP'ers.

We simply do not allow this type of offensive or imflammatory posting on tMP. Period. If you don't have anything of value to add to the conversation... don't!

John

18. Razor

Razor Member

Ivorbiginstrument,

No idea what point, if any, you are trying to make here.

:?: :?: :?:

19. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Can't the same be said about many top bands as well??

I can't be the only one that has heard the likes of Dyke play one of the old 'war horses'. This is not a slight on Dyke. I'm just trying to say that other bands also play some of the older stuff and don't get any complaints.

ivorbiginstrument, if you have a valid point at all, why don't you try making it?

Having seen what's on the programme, I would love to go and hear that concert.

Anybody fancy baby sitting for me so that I can go?????

20. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

Sorry Kev, I can't babysit. I too would love to hera this programme except for two things
    1. It's a very long way from Cardiff and
    2. Our band is at Kettering the same night!

I'm sure that both events (Kettering and Hadleigh) will be enjoyed by the majority of people.

21. ivorbiginstrument

ivorbiginstrument New Member

I don't have a point. I was merely throwing in a sarcastic argumentative point as the topic of discussion was pretty boring and guess what, it worked.
    I dont have anything against older music just S.A. Bands.

22. Ross Berry

Ross Berry Member

What's your problem with SA bands?