Had to give a excuse for some one who does not want to go to band practise

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ian perks, Nov 30, 2008.

1. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Have you ever had to give a excuse for someone who as said im not going to band tonight so can you tell them im not very well or ive got to get up early in the morning for work etc etc etc.
    I did a few times with a band i used to play with a few years ago.
    Not going to name the person to avoid name dropping,as that person is on mouthpiece site.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    band practise
    mouthpiece site
    person
    work
    morning
  3. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

No comment. Although I have told the odd porkie...

4. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Good point well made Ian

5. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

you know the nominations for most sarcastic post have closed now, right Mr B? :wink:

6. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

I haven't lied for anyone else....but I have lied about myself (not with this band I hasten to add - years ago - as a youngster lol!).

Now I feel guilty since I haven't been to rehearsal for 3 in a row! (I have sinusitis, and swollen glands).......I hope they believe me!!

7. Mr Guinness

Mr Guinness Member

Enough Ian!!

As true as it may be, it's really not big and clever. You're a lovely bloke, but you really need to move on now.

Hope you're enjoying your new banding with Amington. Good result the other weekend.

8. leisa

leisa Active Member

I concur Mr G

9. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

For my friend, an eminent doctor, with very serious schizophrenic tendencies. He thinks he controls me... I do... no you don't... yes I do!!!!!
    signed: M.R Hyde.

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I remember a rehearsal when a player was excused. He was seen at Parkhead behind the goals during the Old Firm telly highlights shown in the pub afterwards.

11. MarkGillatt

MarkGillatt Member

Banding is a hobby for me, so if I have a special event happening I go, no-one can force you to turn up to play the same piece of music ad infinitum for a deaf old codger in a shed to judge :)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    band practise
    mouthpiece site
    person
    work
    morning
  13. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

It's also about being part of a team ;)

14. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

This post presents an interesting perspective to an earlier discussion about contesting. Though I don't agree with the expression, I do agree with the sentiment. Contesting is important to me, as a reason to maintain playing standards ( on a personal level ). This has to be balanced against a busy work life and full participation in family life. Not easy.
    I have sometimes had to put other priorities first, try getting some MDs to see your point of view. If you can't reason with them, then you have to stand firm. Too many bands try to run your life, not just musically, but above all other commitments.
    A realistic grasp of 21st century life is necessary for the movement to prosper and flourish.
    Yes, we'll be there when we can but it is a hobby, not a life-style or religion, so give and take, then the need to fib/lie will no longer exist.

15. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

Mark is spot on...our band did really well a couple of years ago...we played consistantly well with the same personnel as we have now (with a few changes)....but God was it hard work.

There were points where we were at rehearsals pretty much EVERY night for a month. Add into that concerts and sectionals and band was starting to take over our lives.

I had to put my hands up in the end and just say 'I haven't put my kids to bed this week yet, I am not coming to rehearsal tomorrow'....but the reaction you get from conductors and other people in the band (who really don't seem to have any other responsibilities that they'd put before band) can be quite appalling.

We were at one point accused of not getting our act together for not arranging a babysitter for the day of the contest (we had, it was my FIL, unfortunately he had a heart attack two days before the contest) - this was only an issue for the two seconds it took for me to tell the conductor that if he had such a big problem with it, then we would solve it by neither of us playing at the contest.

This is what I mean - some people - really don't seem to have anything else going on in their lives that requires them to put band second sometimes....and these people make the rest of us feel like we're not making an effort when we have to miss a rehearsal - hence sickies.

16. bbg

bbg Member

Some interesting points made. Personally, I aim to be at every rehearsal if at all possible, usually going straight from work which makes for a long day, but I knew the rehearsal times when I joined.

My attitude does seem to be regarded as a bit "old fashioned" by some - possibly dates back to my SA upbringing when anything other than 100% attendance at every rehearsal / meeting etc was unusual to say the least, allowing for work commitments of course (my first corps band was in what was once a big minig area - in the 40s, 50s and 60s probably the majority of the band were employed in the pits in one way or another).

I have no problem at all with genuine reasons for not being at band, but if it becomes known that someone has chosen to go to a football match or sit watching telly rather than attend, it annoys me just a tad!! Look at it from the conductor's point of view - spend ages preparing a rehearsal, a couple of call-offs before rehearsa time so off you toddle , expecting to see 22 or so guys waiting to play...........and there are 16. Fairly demoralising?

17. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

I understand that if there are half-full rehearsals it can be demoralising, but then instead of lambasting those who are not attending, why not question why they don't want to give up whatever it is they ARE doing, to come to a rehearsal.

Its a two way thing...constantly poor rehearsals where no-one is enjoying it/getting anything out of it, will result in poorly attended rehearsals.

However, I would always try to give my very best to ANY conductor (personally speaking) just because I am of the opinion that the conductor deserves a certain amount of respect, regardless of whether you agree with what he's doing.

I genuinely would never miss a rehearsal for anything other than a 'good' reason...but what I and others may think is a 'good' reason (family, work, committments outside of band) are not always seen as 'good' reasons by those who don't have those issues in their lives.

18. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

I think we echo the same sentiments Scotchgirl. A lot of people devote their very lives to banding because there is little else in their lives, thus prioritising never becomes an issue.
    I sometimes admire them, at other times, I think how sad some might become in old age. It's everyone to their own, just don't give us family guys too hard a time, please.

19. Dago

Dago Member

I'm flabbergasted that you would do such a thing - If the band ever found out they would mash 'em!

20. brut33

brut33 Member

I regularly moan about this kind of thing. I have a young family, and lots of other things in my life but I try my best to be as committed as possible without 'devoting my very life to banding'. I do intend do be a bandsman for the rest of my life but that's not the same thing!

The thing that bothers me more than anything is not that people don't make it along to rehearsal, more that they don't let anyone know they can't make it... that's rude and inconsiderate!

My youth band attendance is almost always 90%+, and without exception they let me know if they can't make it... Can't ask more than that!