Ha 4br lost the plot

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by drumist, Jan 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drumist

drumist New Member

Does anyone else have problems getting any news or other info put on for bars rest. Have they lost the plot ????????????? discuss

2. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

On the contrary... they usually publish anything! I know of stories that have been entirely fabricated, and still made it on to the site! Have you tried including a tenuous Welsh connection? :)

3. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

That implies they ever had "The plot" in the first place.....

:D :clap:

4. drumist

drumist New Member

There seems to be a lot of people taking the micky out of 4br at the moment. Apparently Anthony Banwell has moved abroad, so it's all now left to Mr personallity, Iwan Fox, who doesn't seem to be able to cope. It's a good job there aren't another few Welsh bands around, otherwise his head would explode

5. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Can't the sly Mr Fox(!) get anyone else?

6. simonium

simonium Member

The Fantastic Mr Fox?

7. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

Whatever your views are on its editorial content/bias, it's worth bearing in mind that 4barsrest - rather like this site and brassbandresults.co.uk - is run in their spare time by people who have busy professional lives.

I've had quicker (and more effective) responses to enquiries I've made to 4BR than I have from some 'professional' outfits - and we've all experienced slow/inadequate customer service at some time, I'm sure.

Regarding Mr. Barnwell, it was he who responded to my most recent enquiries to 4BR, although this was about a month ago now. It would suggest that he hasn't disappeared from the scene entirely though.

8. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Well said Jack :clap:

9. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Actually 4br is a limited company and at least one of the directors works on it full time now... which makes it massively different to the other sites imho!

10. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Member

4barsrest bought by British Bansdman some years ago and hence both under ownership of Salvation Army empire if my memory serves me right (unlikely I know).

Boring Bob

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    The Salvation Army
    Army
    SA
    Reflections in Nature
    Martin
  12. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

That's rather a monoplising effect of the whole umbrella of the brass band movement?

13. DobX Dave

DobX Dave Member

If that is the case, that is why 4BarsRest never criticise the bands in the Salvation Army (like the International Staff Band, Enfield, Hendon etc ~ they are just like all other bands ~ have good and bad days).

If the Salvation Army reverted it’s efforts to it’s Christian ministry and left dabbling in brass bands in general, then perhaps it would better all round.

14. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

I remember the SA buying up the British Bandsman, and I remember 4 Bars Rest doing some sort of occasional collaboration with the Bandsman, but I don't remember the SA buying up 4 Bars Rest.

If you disapprove of 4 Bars Rest's output, you are free to ignore it.

15. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

I think you`re right James, 4br and BB share the odd story, but 4br is still independent from the tentacles of SP&S.
    I used to be a long time subscriber to the British Bandsman but when it became part of a religious organisation`s "musical outreach programme" it was time to bin it!
    I got given a few issues a while back to read, and a truly uninspiring read it was too.

16. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

Having read this thread, along with the Pontin's responses, I wonder why anybody shows interest in our hobby!
    If the wealth of Fort Knox was donated to improve the banding experience, or ten new contests were proposed for next year, we would still have the same moaning, self-pitying whingers finding something to complain about.
    If it's not contests, it's pieces, or adjudication or the colour of a park bandstand!
    Discussion is great - and welcome, but if an individual or organisation puts time/money/resources into our hobby, then expect them to do it their way, not yours.
    Set up your own sites, organise your own contests, raise your own prize money sponsors but PLEASE, give some of those that already do these things some credit.
    Are the moaners the only ones left on this forum?
    Where are the praise threads?
    I personally think that anybody mad enough to consider organising anything for banding, deserves a medal - and then certifying, for thinking that anyone might be even slightly grateful.

17. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

Hear, Hear - Just Say No to nay-sayers!

18. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

I really, really wish there was a like button for this Dave.

19. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Dave says :tup

I hope the 4br guys don't clock some of the negative vibes on this thread - they'd go apes**t... maybe.

20. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

It was blindingly obvious that the OP had created his/her anonymous identity purely to take a swipe at 4br. I had hoped that the opening post would be totally ignored and that this thread would go the way of other one-trick ponies. I am heartened by the lack of band-wagon jumpers. I hardly think 4br will have any sleepless nights.

As with any other free-to-the-end-user publications, WYSIWYG. If you don't like it, try doing it better yourself and see how far you get.

21. Martin

Martin Member

I was brought up in a Salvation Army family and learned to play in their ranks. I progressed through the Junior Band and on to the Senior Band. Some of the rules we considered a bit stiff and starchy, but the was the society we lived in. Bringing up children is never easy and I am sure my parents had their trials and tribulations with my brother and I. Whilst I have kept my core beliefs and understanding of how the 'Army' ticks, I became distanced from the SA after I joined the RAF in 1978.

I do not wish to get into a debate about how society has changed over the years, but parents these days have it a lot harder than ours ever did. The things that are now there to cause parents to worry, were not really around when I was younger. Let's face it, youngsters these days, typically, don't do what they don't want to.

The Salvation Army as an organisation has had to change. Anybody who attended the 'Hendon Highlights' in London last night would have seen evidence of this. We were treated to a musical feast from 3 excellent musical groups, The Hendon Band, The Territorial Youth Band and, of course, The Priests. However, DobX Dave's comment made it all the more poignant when I look back and remember between 40 and 50 young people sat on the stage wearing SA uniform and THEY WANTED TO BE THERE. Whilst there was, obviously, the prestige of sharing a stage with one of the best brass bands in the country, these youngsters were a selection and representative of, many like minded young people throughout the SA movement. This is not only credit to the parents who, by their own strength of faith and belief, have been able to encourage their young people to take this mantel on for themselves but to the 'Army' as an organisation for adapting in such a way as to keep these youngsters interested.

As for the 'Army's' business enterprises, let's not forget, they fill a gap supporting our movement where more commercially minded entrepreneurs fear to tread. All organisations have to make money to cover their costs and, with all the social work the 'Army' does, those costs would be significant. The allowing of SA music onto general release was a stroke of genius. I have not heard any complaints about being able to play the works of the great Salvationist composers and the more modernist ones. Only this Thursday, our MD pulled out Robert Redhead's 'Reflections in Nature' which is based on the words, 'When Jesus Looked O'er Galilee'. A piece I have always enjoyed. After playing it, I couldn't help but reflect myself. If allowing their music out into the public domain, how may other people will be drawn to reflect and possibly go along or return to the 'Army's' ranks.

With regard to 'Who Owns Who', Who Cares? I think the Salvation Army's 'Christian Ministry' is pretty much where it should be.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    The Salvation Army
    Army
    SA
    Reflections in Nature
    Martin
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.