Gwent Youth Festival 2007

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by matthetimp, Jan 2, 2007.

1. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

Just wondering who is going to the festival this year and what section everybody is in?

2. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

our band is goin i think if it is on the 27th? First time to it but we were invited into the first section i think!

3. Matt-Trom939

Matt-Trom939 Member

I am playing twice on the day.
    With Bassaleg School Brass Band who usually compete in Section 2.
    Im also playing with Rogerstone Junior Band who usually compete in Section 1.
    However im not sure if we are this year.
    Apparently im playing a solo though :|

4. trombonebabe

trombonebabe Member

So does that mean that you have perfected Autumn Leaves since the last NMCBB rehearsal Matt? Can't wait to hear it if thats what you are playing (prob get told off by the mods now!).

I will be playing solo trom with Lydbrook Training - no solos for me to worry about tho! :p

5. stotty74

stotty74 Member

I should be bringing Northop Youth down again for the second time. In Section 1 again this year, but the band have totally changed in 12 months. Good experience for all the new younger players though.

6. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

I am taking Newbridge Juniors to the contest also. It has been 3 years since they last entered and I went to Newbridge in August and have managed to get a band to go to Crosskeys. May I thank the band commitee and supporters a bif thank you for helping and may it long continue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Matt-Trom939

Matt-Trom939 Member

No unfortunately i am not playing Autumn Leaves (I say unfortunately, but i rather enjoy not having a hernia!). Im keeping what im playing top secret.

Is that because i dont want anyone else to know or because i myself do not know?

:biggrin:

8. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Can anyone take part at this contest or just people called Matt? Noticed most of the responses are from one Matt or another! Hehe

9. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

Nice 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap:

10. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

My sister will probably be conducting Bassaleg and my brother-in-law will be conducting Rogerstone, may pop along if I am in Wales that weekend. I remember this contest when I was about ten, it used to be really competitive but lets all remember it is a festival now!!!:rolleyes:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Gwent Youth Festival
    year
    section
  12. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

anyone know the full line-up of bands and timings of each section? My daughter was told at her rehearsal tonight that they will be arriving for about 2.00 (which I thought was quite late?) but she would like to hear some of the other bands

13. Matt-Trom939

Matt-Trom939 Member

It usually starts around 9am (I think) and i only know this as i have twice been unfortunate enough to be one of the first bands on.

14. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

our band have been draw -------! in the first section i think we have been told! so were not leaving till 9.30 but we are in cornwall!

EDIT: I've temporarily censored Matt's post, until someone can confirm that this festival is Open adjudication and the draw is made public in advance Thanks! Jan

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2007
  15. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Hi Matt
    Not so sure it is a good idea to say which number band you are or is it open adjudication? I was just trying to find out a list od the bands entered and what time the sections started to be honest, don't want to get in trouble with the mods!

16. Always used to be an open adjudication - but the last time I played in it was 10+ years ago (the last time our band entered)(god I'm old)!
    Probably gonna be playing this time around in the 'unclassified' section with our youth band as an adult!
    Hope everyone enjoys their day out in Cross Keys :cool:

17. jesstrom

jesstrom New Member

I am playing at --- and i think now first thing in the morning too
    rhi the day begins at around 9ish and ends about 6:30 but will probs run overtime - it usually does.

Edit: Time removed, as we have not yet confirmed the draw and adjudication status of this contest.

18. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

The Contest has been open adjudication from as far back as i can remember. Don't think it has been changed for this year.

19. trombonebabe

trombonebabe Member

Thanks Jess, who are you playing with and what pieces are you playing? Okay to say now, mods, if open adjudication?

I am playing solo trom with Lydbrook Training Band and they are playing [edited - see post below]

Nothing really for trombones to worry about:(

20. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Please refrain from posting draw position, playing time or pieces to be played in this thread. Although many people seem to believe that this is an open adjudication contest, we have been unable to officially confirm this. Therefore, we need to consider it as closed until such time as it is confirmed as open.

Thank you,
    Robert (on behalf of the tMP team)

21. Deano

Deano Member

It is definately open adjudication, my father helps Alan Williams (Gwent Music Support) every year with the running of the festival.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Gwent Youth Festival
    year
    section