Gwent bands - opportunity to recruit young players

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by caramelbunny, Jul 26, 2006.

1. caramelbunny

caramelbunny Member

Torfaen Summer Playscheme kicks off next week (31st July) for the next 4 weeks. This year the Welsh Assembly are promoting 'play in your local community'. Throughout the 4 weeks of Playscheme we have various groups come onto sites to entertain the kids & at the same time promote thier own group.

Over the last 5 years we've had loads of different sports: rugby, football, netball, martial arts, arts and crafts, cookery, pottery etc but we've always been lacking in music :(

So, this year I thought I'd give a shout out to all the bands in Gwent to see if anyone fancies sending a few players to some sites (of your choice) and maybe taking along a few youth band instruments (percussion always popular with the kids) for them to have a go....I figured the kids get experience of a different type of music and if they really take to it bands could stand to gain new youth band members :) plus, Welsh Assembly are happy since it's a play activity they can continue long after Playscheme ends....smiles all 'round!!! :D

If anyone wants anymore info please feel free to PM me or post up here

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    groups
    community
    players
    bands
    arts
  3. Di

Di Active Member

What a fantastic idea. I hope its a success. :clap:

4. caramelbunny

caramelbunny Member

Well Playscheme finished yesterday and I'm gutted that not one musical group of any description came along :(

We did however have reps from rugby, football, skipping, boxing etc and the police service.... had some amazing water fights with the fire service... and the army put on full-scale displays of weapons, equipment and marching drills :woo

Big shout out to all the staff who gave up their summer hols to provide the young people with 5 weeks of wicked entertainment :clap: (espec the fellow brass players, you know who you are ;) )