Gwent bands - opportunity to recruit young players

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by caramelbunny, Jul 26, 2006.

1. caramelbunny

caramelbunny Member

Torfaen Summer Playscheme kicks off next week (31st July) for the next 4 weeks. This year the Welsh Assembly are promoting 'play in your local community'. Throughout the 4 weeks of Playscheme we have various groups come onto sites to entertain the kids & at the same time promote thier own group.

Over the last 5 years we've had loads of different sports: rugby, football, netball, martial arts, arts and crafts, cookery, pottery etc but we've always been lacking in music :(

So, this year I thought I'd give a shout out to all the bands in Gwent to see if anyone fancies sending a few players to some sites (of your choice) and maybe taking along a few youth band instruments (percussion always popular with the kids) for them to have a go....I figured the kids get experience of a different type of music and if they really take to it bands could stand to gain new youth band members :) plus, Welsh Assembly are happy since it's a play activity they can continue long after Playscheme ends....smiles all 'round!!! :D

If anyone wants anymore info please feel free to PM me or post up here
  2. Di

Di Active Member

What a fantastic idea. I hope its a success. :clap:
  3. caramelbunny

caramelbunny Member

Well Playscheme finished yesterday and I'm gutted that not one musical group of any description came along :(

We did however have reps from rugby, football, skipping, boxing etc and the police service.... had some amazing water fights with the fire service... and the army put on full-scale displays of weapons, equipment and marching drills :woo

Big shout out to all the staff who gave up their summer hols to provide the young people with 5 weeks of wicked entertainment :clap: (espec the fellow brass players, you know who you are ;) )