Guys & Dolls

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by PeterBale, Feb 22, 2006.

1. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

My wife & I went to see "Guys & Dolls" at the Piccadilly Theatre last night - her birthday treat.

Just wanted to say that it was the best pit band I've heard for a long time: colourful orchestrations, with excellent work on bass clarinet & baritone sax, and a first class brass section.

Not a foot wrong all night, but with Derek Watkins listed as 1st trumpet what more can you expect?

I'd certainly recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good show: good choreography, more than passable singing and American accents that were quite believable, for a change.

2. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

I've just finished a week of playing for an amateur production, great fun but some of the band parts were a nightmare to read (hand written) and rather 'awkward' to play!

3. HBB

HBB Active Member

I played lead trumpet at for Guys and Dolls at my High School's version.

Amaaaazing... would love to see it properly done!

4. gawber

gawber Active Member

Oh I am so envious.....I wouldn't be able to concentrate on the show for watching and listening to him! :clap:

5. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

Should you be encouraging persons to go and see Guys and Dolls, Peter, as there is a strong Salvation Army presence in this performance and it may even be used for evangelism! (Tongue firmly in cheek!!)

6. stevetrom

There is also a fair amount of girls removing their clothes, a fair balance I think !

7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Just following the fold!

8. stevetrom

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

9. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I too saw this at the Piccadilly Theatre when I was in London early last month. One of the best London shows I've been to. Pit orchestra were outstanding but the surprise package for me was Nigel Harman who couldn't act for toffee in Eastenders but has a clear and when needed, poweful singing voice. And the highlight for me was the song 'Sit Down, You're Rocking The Boat'. Brilliant ensemble and it really 'rocked'. I hope an 'Original London Cast' CD is on its way.