Gustav Holst

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by halsasaurus, Apr 24, 2011.

1. halsasaurus

halsasaurus Member

There is an hour long documentary on Holst tonight on BB4 @ 9pm

It should cover his contribution to Brass Bands

Who is everones favourite Brass Band Musc Composer, past and present?
  2. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Ended at 11.20, having started at 10pm. Brilliant programme. Good seeing old footage of Besses. Who was the conductor?
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Watching on i-player this morning: it's a great shame that most people know so little of Holst's music, as there is such a wide range, particularly with some of the vocal works and the oriental influences.
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Just checked the credits and it was James Holt conducting Besses.
  5. eflatbass

eflatbass Supporting Member

Wonderful programme. It was so well balanced between the historical and musical content. A truly great composer.
  6. MattB

MattB Member

Hi all,

It wasn't old footage of Besses. It was recorded in January this year. The band was invited to be a part of the documentary by the producer, Tony Palmer. Was great to see it on screen!
  7. TonyW

TonyW Supporting Member

Holst is R3`s Composer of the Week, started today 25/4/11. Listen again - should be available, as his Scherzo is well amazing for brass. It was to be part of his 1st symphony but he died before its completion - he was in his `60`s, and had never been too well. He never heard it! :(

I wonder if it`s been arranged for brass anyway, but maybe not, as there is quite a bit of ww in the middle, which nevertheless probably could be handled with suitable muting. I might attempt it for Wind Band even tho` the presenter said it is fiendishly difficult to play.
  8. TonyW

TonyW Supporting Member

Edit: I believe Holst was 59 when he died.
  9. TonyW

TonyW Supporting Member

Not available in `Listen Again`, but broadcast again tonight, Monday 25/4/11 at 11.00pm.
  10. on_castors

on_castors Member

Hopefully I will catch it later - I did turn it on last night, but had "company" at home, and unfortunately the early part was SO gruesome with Concentration camp victims portrayed very graphically, so I felt compelled to turn it off!

Yes, there was a warning that distressing material was to be shown, but it did rather launch into this, and of course not having seen the whole programme I was left wondering WHY this content was shown, (other than the association with "war") and particularly why at that point! After all, "The Planets" is from the First World War era, not late 30's/early 40's so I found it hard to relate the screen to the content enough to justify putting my guest though it! :-(

With the benefit of hindsight I can hopefully watch it more comfortably on my own, albeit I don't particularly relish seeing those scenes again.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  11. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

There is such a wide variety in Holst's music. I dont know why the film of concentration camps had to be shown or the dancer either.

Chandos have a very good series opf recordings of Holst's music in thier catalogue. Well worth a browse and maybe gain some acuisitions!?!?!?
  12. pbirch

pbirch Member

The Planets was written in the years before the first world war, and as such presages the brutality and inhumanity of all 20th century warfare, so it is not just a reflection of WW1. Beni Mori was written while Holst was living in Algiers on the "street of the dancing girls", it might be a little uncomfortable for us to come face to face with the things that influence the music we love from a distance of time (the effect might have been the same if the dancer was wearing some clothes)
    I think it is useful to hear the music in some sort of cultural and political perspective, and to see that the "english idyll" we usually think of as music from around the turn of 19/20th C is not the real picture
  13. on_castors

on_castors Member

The links are far too tentative for my liking, and as the dates tally very closely with the First World war, there is plenty of footage around that would be more relevant to the evils of that particular era, I would suggest it was simple sensationalism & laziness possibly, and as usual sensationalism spoils an otherwise excellent documentary.
  14. TonyW

TonyW Supporting Member

Gustav Holst`s Scherzo (from unfinished symphony)

Can`t find a score anywhere - can assume only one in existance, & no one lists it, so it`s a U turn from me I`m afraid.
    On second listening, probably too much ww for BB arr, and I hear the LPO struggling at times with Tom Beecham around 1960s :oops: