GUS/Vinter Quartet's

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by MickM, Oct 19, 2005.

1. MickM

MickM Member

Back in the 70's (when i was a little tiny baby ;) ), my Dad had a vinyl LP of the GUS band, and i'm sure that on one side of the record were some Gilbert Vinter quartet's, maybe 4 or 5'ish (not sure!). I think something like "Fancy's Knell (or Nell) and "Alla Burlesque"???, etc, Does this ring any bell's with anybody?

I would dearly like to get hold of a replacement, as it was loaned to someone and never seen again! :(

Thanks in advance,

2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Was another one called Concordia?

Vinter was a master at composition and storytelling, he was one of the first to dare step outside the safe world of what people knew and accepted was brass music. IMHO ;)
  3. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

No, "Elegy and Rondo". The players are David Read, John Berryman, horn player whose name I forget and Trevor Groom. It's a classic recording, hard to come by, but well worth hearing.

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

The album was called "Quartets For Brass", originally recorded in 1968 and re-released under the Polyphonic label in 1979 (PRL 003). Gilbert Vinter was conductor and producer. The quartet was John Berryman & David Read (cornets), Trevor Groom (euph.) and John Corley (horn). The first side featured his quartets and the flipside a concerto grosso dedicated to conductor Stanley Boddington and had the quartet playing off the G.U.S. (Footwear) Band.

side A:-

1. Elegy And Rondo
    2. Fancy's Knell
    3. Alla Burlesca

side B:-

4. Lully's March
    5. Purcell's Song
    6. Rameau's Tambourin
    7. Handel's Air
    8. Bach's Badinerie
    9. Corelli's Dance
    10. Couperin's Lullaby
    11. Loeilly's Jig

5. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

There is a copy of this LP being auctioned on Ebay UK at this very moment. Search in the music category under Quartets for Brass. Good luck.
  6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

7. MickM

MickM Member

Thank's for the info guy's!

Do you know if this recording has the same track list as the one you posted^^^ ?
    I'm currently bidding on ebay, but there's no track list!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2005
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- that's the sleeve for the original 1968 pressing. Same tracks.

(post-edit - when I refer to 1968, that's the year it was recorded ... not the release date of the album!)
  9. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

If you contact Studio Music, they may have a cassette recording of it still. I bought one from there a couple of years ago. They (Polyphonic/Studio) didn't re-release it on CD as far as I'm aware. Well worth listening to if you can get hold of it.