gun laws

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by drummergurl, May 17, 2004.

1. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

ok i have to do some research for english on gun laws in the USA and the UK and any incidents that have happened in schools involving guns and what the outcome was.

i thought the best people to help me wiv this would be you lovely tmp lot, so im sure anything u give me will be useful! thank you
  2. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Watch 'Bowling for Columbine'. A DVD made by Michael Moore (a anti american even tho he is a yank himself) and it is all about American gun crime/laws etc.

Very VERY interesting and has lots of stuff bout Americans and gun crime.
    Based around the school shooting in Columbine that killed many students a few yrs back.
    Detailed stuff bout american attitudes and the NRA (National Rifle Association) in the states, well worth a watch.
  3. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

Are you saying that we are a bunch of gun totting maniacs. I suggest bowling for columbine aswell. Maybe you should go to a library, complicated i know but start now and itll be easier later on or maybe google.
  4. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

The State of Ohio just passed a new Conceal/Carry law which if you get a special permit allows you to carry a concealed weapon (except when in government buildings or schools I believe). You should be able to find some recent online articles in the Cleveland Plain Dealer

5. six pints

six pints Active Member

other then some guy in yr 8 shooting three people in my school... its ok they didnt die, and it was a few years ago
  6. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

cool thanx, we watched the columbine thingy in english which is why we have to research gun laws n stuff like that, and no im not suggesting that u are all gun totting maniacs. i thought of all the intelligent people that could probably help me with my research when i posted the topic so please dont take it that i think ur all gun totting maniacs as you put it nuke.
  7. There was a guy who shot a lot of kids at Dunblane Primary School in 1996. Not really sure how it affected gun laws, but it did try and make schools a lot safer!
  8. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

I shot my friend on the little fingernail at point blank with a Ball Bearing when he tried to grab something through the car window. Went all black. :lol:
  9. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

A lad I went to school with lost an eye when someone shot him with a BB gun - the pellet had a drawing pin pushed through it.

Just done a quick search in the uni library database. Try this book -

Author Squires, Peter, 1958-

Title Gun culture or gun control? : firearms, violence and society / Peter Squires

Publisher London : Routledge, 2000

ISBN etc. 0415170869

Shelfmark 343.426 (s)

Or if you're loaded, its available from Blackwells for £16.99. Theres a more in depth description of its content there too...
  10. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

Don't just watch "Bowling for Columbine" - whilst I agree with what Michael Moore is trying to say you have to be aware that there are other sides to the argument as well. If you want to write a balanced report I suggest looking at some governmental publications (should be easy to find using google).
  11. EIBB_Ray

EIBB_Ray Member

I have a couple of cents worth to drop in. First I think calling Michael Moore Anit-american is a little simplified. I think he'd oppose anything that he could with his superior attitude to further his career. So I'd get plenty of balance before I took very much of what Mr Moore says very seriously.

Second, one thing to realize is that gun laws in the US vary greatly from state to state as to what they let people own, what their registration/permit practices are and their laws about concealment are.

I think the argument in america (trying not to be biased to one side or the other) is a struggle between whether gun ownership/possession by the populace is a cause of gun violence, or if the presence of guns serves as a deterent to crime and by extension do license laws and waiting periods have any effect (do legally purchased guns play much of a role in crime, or since criminals don't by definition follow laws are they non-factors?) Throw in arguments about the 2nd ammendment to the UC constituion and how to interpret it (right to bear arms, and the argument whether tha is for the restricted prupose of raising a militia, and thus possible archaic or whether the notion is that widespread gun ownership serves as a check against tyranny.

Don't know if that helped any, but that's how I see the arguments going here.