Gulping!!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Dizzy, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Dizzy

Dizzy New Member

I've suddenly devoloped this annoying habit of gulping when I'm nervous. When I start playing, I feel "normally" nervous but then I'll be half way through a phrase or long note, when all of a sudden...out of nowhere, I gulp!
    Anyone have any suggestions on how I can stop doing this? It's driving me crazy!!!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    way
    habit
    note
    all
    phrase
  3. squirrel

squirrel Member

Well, from the lack of response so far, it seems as though you're on your own :(

Is it a kind of "something trickling down the back of your throat" kind of gulp, like when your mouth's watering, or more of a "gasping for breath" type of action? I sometimes get the opposite extremes of mouth moistness when I'm nervous - one minute I've got a saliva overload, the next minute it's gone dry like I've been at a jacobs cracker eating competition.

4. gawber

gawber Active Member

My problem when I played and was nervous was that I found myself yawning.

5. Kaskaey

Kaskaey Member

oh this is stupid. i only came on here to read and now i cant stop gulping in mid air. this is like one of those 'cant stop' contegious thing like increasing the pitch at the end of sentences. *gulp* ok i really dont no how to stop now.

6. I do that gulping thing sometimes (well, rarely), if someone in my peripheral vision makes a sudden movement. You may find that someone is shooting "looks" at you from one side. If you're already a bit stressed, it can trigger an instictive reaction.

7. cookie2

cookie2 Member

I've experienced a gulping sensation a couple of times in the past, usually when I'm running out of breath and pretty much empty. It's kind of a reflex thing I think, not sure if that's what you're talking about though.

Also when I was a student I found that I was doing a funny thing with the back of my throat when I was double or triple tonguing, don't think my technique was quite right. My teacher sorted that out by just making me do a load of practice on it, lots of Arban exercises to develop the right sort of action.