Guinness Premiership

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by persins, Aug 15, 2006.

1. persins

persins Member

I cannot wait for the Guinness Premiership Rugby Union Season to start.

I am a London Irish Season Ticket holder and am looking forward to another great season hopefully starting with a fantastic day at Twickenham for the London Double Header involving all 4 of the major London based Teams.

Hopefully we'll manage another top 4 finish with a good couple of cup runs but I'll just be happy if we play the same expansive style of Rugby as last season. Win, lose or draw, theres always the Craic!! :guiness

Any other Rugby Union fans here? If so, what do you expect / hope from your teams?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Guinness
    Guinness Premiership
    London Irish
    London
    theres
  3. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I just wrote this and lost it.....so i'll start again!

I can;t wait for the season to start, I'll be fickley supporting a number of teams!!
    A friend of mine is playing with Northampton this year and so hopefully he'll get some first team starts, i'll be supporting Sale too as they're localish and we also kind of know somebody who plays for them too!
    ...I might support Bath a bit too, just because we always have!

Good luck for a great season.

4. persins

persins Member

Good stuff.
    It's fantastic that you can support multiple teams like that! I went to watch Newbury Blues v Wasps the other weekend.
    Even though Wasps are one of the local "rivals" it was still a friendly atmosphere with everyone there for the game rather than for any other reason.
    I even saw a couple of Tigers shirts around!!! Obviously supporting Newbury!:rolleyes: ;)

5. As a resident of Belfast, I have all my tickets bought up for the Celtic League home games and the Heineken Cup matches. Ravenhill is a fantastic atmosphere, and Mr Persins, I believe Irish are in our group this year. If you need somewhere to stay, give me a pm.
    Also (claim to fame time), whilst playing for Halifax RUFC, I once took Charlie Hodgson's head off (not literally, obviously). I got banned for 14 weeks - life wasn't fair!!!!

Andy, contemplating a comeback for Malone RFC, Belfast league 1

6. persins

persins Member

I'm sure a lot of people would thank you for taking Charlie's head off!!
    You missed the eyebrows though!!
    Despite being the only reason why Sale beat Irish last season, I've actually got a great deal of respect for the player as he's had to take continual comparisons with Wilks despite them being completely different types of players.
    I'll hopefully be getting over to Ulster for the Heineken Cup. Should be a cracker!!

7. It should be, as well as the match, the beer is great and the craic is fantastic!
    Although at £2.50 a pint, it should be a decent brew!!
    Try drinking 6 pints and walking home in a straight line (and I thought I could drink!!!)

Andy

8. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Are you going to the Double Header?, I'll be there yelling for Sarries (and a little for Quins as their my local team :D ). Looking foward to seeing if Andy Farrell can cut the mustard at Union. Hoping to get to a few more matches this season.

9. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

The sooner the season starts the better! Plus it'll be great to have a distraction from the football that seems to be back on our screens 24/7!

I'll be going to Twickenham on the 2nd - out of curiosity and to check out the competition that London Irish won't be for the Llanelli Scarlets in this season's HC! :tongue:

Don't think I'll be able to make it to the Emerald Isle with the post-degree state of my finances but I'll go to as many of the home games as possible. Looks as if it'll be a great season for the Scarlets with our new Director of Rugby Phil Davies and two pre-season friendly victories against Northampton and Gloucester already under our belts.

Maybe we should try and organise a tMP rugby fans' meet up sometime?!

10. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

I'll be following Leicester.

11. If Big Phil can get half as much as what he got out of Leeds when they first got promoted, I think the Celtic League will be rather interesting this season.

Andy

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Guinness
    Guinness Premiership
    London Irish
    London
    theres
  13. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Good man! Me too, and hoping we actually win something this season and not screw it all up like we did last season. :(

14. persins

persins Member

I think we just did!:biggrin:

Well,
    One game played, one game won!!!
    Only just though. Looks like Riki Flutely finally found some kicking boots!!! Bout time too!

Obviously the guinness was taking effect at Twickenham as I didn't realise that the penalty which won us the game was actually in the 2nd minute of injury time. :oops: Get in there!! Always nice to win against the Quins but would have liked more than a 1 point advantage!! Still, it's early days and we will get better!! (couldn't get much worse!)
    Still got 4 points though!

Bring on the Pests tonight!!!

15. persins

persins Member

Well, 3 games down and one game won so far. Last game against Bristol was a game of two halves if ever there was one.

We played them off the park in the first half and should have been out of sight by half time. A few crucial errors though kept it to only 11-3 at half time.
    Second half and we were truely awful. Didn't score a point and couldn't even do the basics right. ended up losing 11-23. Not great. Bring on Andy Farrell and the Sarries (even though I can't go as I have a gig!).

16. cornetsquint

cornetsquint Member

Where are the Gloucester supporters??? They are doing very well this season (if you ignore the hammering from ospreys last week!)
    GO Glaws

17. persins

persins Member

Probably haven't sobered up yet from giving Bristol a kicking!!

18. Bigenglandfan

Bigenglandfan Member

We Glaws fans have been officially advised to 'downplay any expectation" for this season, what with having such a young and inexperienced squad. So the official line is that we are clearly going to be bit weak this season but we hope to do better next year. However.................................... it is blatantly obvious to anyone with half a brain that we are vastly superior to any other Premiership side at the moment and hopefully will remain so throughout the year. I'm looking forward to Worcester (AKA Glaws rejects) getting a good HAMMERING on Friday evening, all live on TV for all to see. COME ON YOU CHERRY AND WHITES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. persins

persins Member

I think that London Irish fans are coming to that conclusion this season as well!! Back to realitiy with a bit of a bump this season. Although, we were rubbish until christmas last season too and look what happened.

Cracking come back against Llanelli Scarlets on Friday but too little too late! Still, a few nervous Welsh people went very quiet during the last quarter!!

20. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

Yeah but the ref was 'cheating' wasn't he?!? :tongue:

21. persins

persins Member

Absolutely!
    Just think what would have happened if he'd spotted the infringements on every try!

1st one - Stephen Jones deliberately offside blocking Hodgeson from making a pass leading to turnover then forward pass.
    2nd one - 22 drop out taken from OUTSIDE the 22 followed by forward pass.
    3rd one - 2 forward passes and at least one foot in touch on route to the try line!
    4th one - Too many guinnesses by then!

Good game in the end though! We'll just have to see what happens at Stradey Park!

22. SammyT

SammyT Member

I too am supporting Leicester (pity about match against Munster :()

I am going to Twickenham on 5th November for England v New Zealand (how excited am I:tongue: ) are there any other TMPers going??