guesting/deputising - how much?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by timbloke, Nov 4, 2003.

This year how many bands will you have played/conducted for?

1. None i don't play

2. Only my main band

3. My main band plus one i regularly play in / 2 bands

4. 3-5 bands

5. 5-10 bands

6. more than 10 bands

1. timbloke

timbloke Member

In the space of one week i was asked by four different groups to guest for them at a total of 4 concerts and one contest. i had to turn down to concerts and the contest (because of prior engagements - my own band jobs) and am still umming and ahhing about the other two because they fall on one or other of my few days off over the next 2 months....

i then started thinking back to my hectic summer, between the end of may and the beginning of october i was out for all but three weeks with one band or another, including a few with two or three jobs in a weekend. and one of those weekends i didn't play was because of glasto, when a) i should have been playing a job, and b) i got up hung over on the sunday to see the band (Yeovil Town i think?) play the pyramid stage :) .

in total i this year i will have probably played for 7 bands (most more than once - three at contests who i have been signed for) and 2 orchestras. not counting the Children in Need tMP band.

on top of that on my weekends off i have been to support friends in at least 4 or 5 bands.

don't get me wrong, i love playing, i wouldn't do it if i didn't.

am i the exception or the norm?
    how much guesting do you lot do?
    do you charge? (i don't other than travel)
    do you set a limit to the standard of band? (i've played from lower than fourth to 1st, had offers from champ as well - all of which i would happily do again)
    do you set a distance minimum? (me? as long as i can get there by train within a couple of hours)

2. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

As of Sunday, this year I have played with:

Dronfield Band
    Barnsley Building Society
    Bestwood Black Diamonds
    Flixton Band
    Ellington Colliery Band
    Felling Band
    Dunston Band
    Northumberland County Youth Brass Band
    Mouthpiece Brass (Whit Friday)

Sheff Uni Wind Orchestra
    Sheff Uni Music Soc Concert Band
  3. Hilary Mateer

Hilary Mateer Member

Just worked it out and I have played for 7 brass bands this year plus 2 wind bands and whit friday band. I have also been asked by another 2 brass band and 1 wind band who I have had to turn down because of other commitments.
    Most of these have been non contesting bands who usually offer £5 or £10 expenses. Sometimes I take the cash and sometimes I don't depending on whether I have been to rehearsals, how far it is, and how firmly they push the money into my pocket.
    I enjoy it and would happily play every day :) but my family, especially the children, do complain a bit of neglect :(
  4. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

you know what to do about that Hilary - whip out the baby basses...

have played with:
    Dungarvan - hurrah
    HFC New Ross
    City of Waterford
    Stedfast Band, Dublin
    St. George's, Dublin
    Arklow Shipping
    Wem Jubilee (well, held a cornet and watched notes go by for that one)

and a few more coming up
  5. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

This year, I have been mostly playing with and conducting for:

Barnet Band
    Croydon Brass Band
    Crystal Palace Band
    East London Brass
    Fulham Brass Band
    Lewisham Concert Band
    Merton Concert Band

All good, clean fun ;-)
  6. Stewart

Stewart Member

Crystal Palace eh? I've a friend who plays for them, did you meet a very mad, ginger cornet player?

Anyway, back on topic, not played for that many bands this year I don't think. Just:

Moston & Beswick
    oh, and tMP at Easingwold, obviously.
  7. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

8. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

This year I have played with

Chichester City band
    Cosham Band
    Portsmouth city band
    New Forest brass
    Pendennis Brass
    Gosport Silver band
    City of Winchester band
    Christchurch & Highcliffe band
    Gibraltar Rooke band
    Brass Reflections 10-piece

I don't think that there is anything wrong with guesting as much as you can.
    I found that my playing has improved, my sightreading especially. Also you get to learn to follow different styles of conducting. Another thing I've found is that I'm listening more to others around me.
    As for expenses, if I've had to travel a distance then I'll ask for a bit towards petrol but if its close then I don't ask for anything
    I've met a lot of people who I would never have met before and of course if it gets too much I can always say no!
  9. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

can't even remember all the bands I've played with this year, but as a general rule of thumb, if I've got exams coming up I cut back.
  10. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

In my case you are an exception, but i think if i didn't have so much to do at the moment, i would be a lot more 'into' banding in general.

i help out local bands sometimes, if i don't already have a prior engagement booked!

i don't charge, but if they offer i accept! i think it is rude not to offer someone money either for travel or for a general thnkyou. I wouldn't mind them even buying me a drink in the pub afterwards instead of money but it's nice to have it offered to you, even if it is only £10 or less! I helped a band out, didn't get offered travel expenses (contest was in rhyl) and not one of the band (expect person who rang me up to ask will i dep) said thankyou.
    So even if they appeared to be grateful then i would help them out again, optherwise i wouldn't...

i don't like playing for higher than 2nd Section bands, but Wilks is an exception - it's my teachers band in the Champ (i think) section!

Local things unless they provide transport to the acutal concert.
  11. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

I've played for 4bands this year...

Rainford Silver (Main Band number 1)
    St Helens Youth (Main Band Number 2)
    Blackburn & Darwen Band

There was no option to have 2main bands!!
  12. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Hmm... It's hard to keep track, amidst all the other (non-band) playing stuff that goes on. I think

University of Warwick
    Oxfordshire & District Association joint band
    Betteshanger Welfare

is a more or less complete list.

Thought it was more than that! Not much banding round here, I suppose.

13. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

initially i only said in two bands in the poll. But if i think really hard(ouch that herts!), ive played for:

wem jubilee my regular band.
    i helped out Dronefield, the day after whit friday.
    Silkin brass, my ensemble..
    the tmp band on whit friday,
    and the TMP easingwold band.
    And thats busy for me!
  14. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Well, this year I have played for...

Harrogate ( I think.....sure I've been associated with the burgundy brigade, but it could have been a hangover...)
    Silsden (nope, not a spelling mistake, but the villages are near each other!)
    Driffield Silver
    Aunt Bessie's East Yorkshire Brass

That's it so far I think! I only take expenses if I'm doing some serious travelling eg to Scunthorpe for the Leyland gig, most times I'll pay for free if it's not too far - what a cheap date I am!!!

Rach x
  15. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Had a quiet year this year. I stopped playing seriously about 2 years ago and only took up banding again a few months ago. At one time I was playing regularly in 3 bands and conducting another so I had very little spare time to dep anywhere else :?
  16. sharpnote

sharpnote Member

In just over a year I've played with

Black Dyke
    Yorkshire Imps
    oh, and the Lincoln Beavor Band!!! :D
  17. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

simalar list to other really,

Grange Moor
    York Light Orchestra
    Elland (quite a lot!)

I'll play for anyone if I'm free I just love playing, I always feel I should be Offered expensies, but only accept them 40% of the time and then usually just some petrol and a beer!!! Or a return of the favour is just as good..
  18. leisa

leisa Active Member

Flixton band
    Aquinas orchestra

hehe thats it!! :)
  19. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

In the last 12 months or so I've conducted:

Harrogate (surprise!)
    South Yorkshire Police
    Yorkshire Evening Post
    Nestle Rowntrees

and played for

Elland Silver
    York Railway
    Ripon City

and maybe others... As player I accept modest expenses to cover travel depending on distance; as conductor I take whatever the regular conductor gets, since (a) I'm curious, and (b) I don't think that the band should pay more or less than they are accustomed to paying.

20. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

this year so far I've played with (or am playing for):

Soundhouse Brass (Plymouth)
    Saltash Town Band
    Flixton Band
    Salford University Brass Band
    Adelphi Brass Band
    Salford University "Wind Ensemble" (On saxophone)
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2004