GTP

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Maestro, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Is there anybody out there who has been on the GTP scheme, or who is actually on it at the moment?

I have been trying to get on it, but it seems I am always running into a wall.

Any help would be extremely handy.

Cheers all

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    anybody
    GTP
    scheme
    Cheers
    help
  3. choirmaster

choirmaster Member

I did the GTP 2 years ago. I found it really handy, because I had been teaching for quite a few years without a PGCE, but wanted to get a professional teaching qualification without the fuss of going back into full time study.
    I don't know what you've been told about it, but the time scale can be anything from 1 to 3 terms in length depending on your previous experience. I know that places were hard to come by and preference was given to 'shortage subjects' but it was hoped that more places were going to be made available in time.
    The course is almost made to suit each student and basically comprises of gathering evidence to show you meet the criteria ( bit like an NVQ really). Unfortunately, you also have to do a major assignment for each term you do it over and also go to a different school from the one you have attached yourself to for a few weeks to broaden your experience.
    If I remember when I did it my 1st port of call was the Dfee (maybe try their website) who told me which Universities offered the GTP in my subject, and getting my headmaster to agree to me doing it. I don't know, but maybe that's where our situations would vary? If you don't already teach you'll have to get a school to agree to take you on. That may be easier than you think, as some schools will see it as cheap labour.
    As i said, it's a handy way of getting your professional status. However, don't expect it to be a breeze. As I was also teaching a full timetable at the time it was a bit like doing 2 jobs.

4. Baldbeaver

Baldbeaver New Member

Could be worth trying the personnel department at your local education authority. They might have contacts or advise for you.
    The main problem seems to be finding a school that will take you on the programme, but i think the lea could help with this.

5. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

I'm out of touch and curious - what is GTP?

6. choirmaster

choirmaster Member

It's the Graduate Teacher Programme. It's a bit like the PGCE (postgraduate Cirtificate of Education?) but you do all your training in your nominated school and not stuck in some stuffy lecture theatre. As you are 'working' at that school you are paid a salary, by whom I can't remember. It's basically for people who would find it difficult to go back to full time academic study maybe because they have a family to look after etc.

7. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

Unless the school in question has stuffy lecture theatres of course.

From what I can gather it depends on what subject you do as to whether this is worth it. I'm think about teaching and the best route for me is PGCE by far as I get a generous hand out from the government - the extra money I would get from GTP salary isn't worth the hassle of full-time teaching AND study (as far as I am aware you get substantially less than QT rate).