Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by DaveR, Nov 18, 2005.

1. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I was driving home last night along the M25 at about 9.45pm. The variable speed limit was in operation (set at 50mph) and when I saw it ahead I slowed down from 65-70mph. My car won't actually go faster than 70 - it's too old!!

I entered the speed limit area at 52 miles an hour (and still decelerating) yet still set the camera off!! So I'm now looking forward to a receiving £60 fine and 3 points on my licence.

I wouldn't mind if I'd gone sailing through at 70, that would be a fair cop. But 52mph? Grrr!!

And on my way back into work this morning I was hit by some flying debris on the M25 and now have a dent in my bonnet. I'm now seriously grumpy this morning!

2. not good, repeat after me "i will not be mad" breathe in, and out, in, and out loool
  3. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Breathes deeply and repeats "I will not be mad" several hundred times...

No, it's no good, I'm still grumpy!!

4. :cool: my exercises usually work... I think anti-depressants are needed here :frown:
  5. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Well, I'll keep trying then!!! ;)

DaveR (aka Grumpy - maybe I should look to become one of the seven dwarfs in panto this year!)
  6. nah not such a good idea.. cos you wouldnt have to act, so it wouldn't be fun fo the audience <shhh's>
  7. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

You're probably right - I can't act anyway!
  8. I'm always right
  9. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I should keep your head down for a while...luck like this generally comes in three's...I should walk home.

Oh, you said you travel the M25 didn't you?? You travel at a walking pace anyway then...just leave the car at work and avoid the risk! ;) :biggrin:
  10. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Don't say that - that's tempting fate that is!! Mind you, you are right - in rush hour it is quicker to walk!

11. Di

Di Active Member

Don't you get the "go to the police station and get a patronising lesson on how to drive without going over the limit" option?
  12. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Actually (and not wanting to build your hopes up...) you may be OK. I think there is a 10% tolerance on speed limits - as no speedo is totally accurate as it relys on the cars gearing - which alters as tyres wear for example. I also think that the police can only process so many speeding fines in the notification time. Obviously they will start with the really bad ones and work down the list. Better hope there were a few idiots on the road around the time of your "indescretion". ;)

Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised it the powers that be have changed the reasonable 10% tolerance to a totally unreasonable no tolerance at all. Keep you fingers crossed and hope for the best - if they haven't contacted you in a few weeks you're OK.

I'm sure our resident tMP ex-copper Rapier will be able to confirm or totally shoot me down in flames here. (awaits being shot down in flames...)
  13. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Well, lets hope so! Thanks for the thought. :)

I drove through this evening very carefully, and judging by the number of cars that overtook me and didn't get flashed the cameras aren't on this evening - which is almost as annoying!

Actually, it is quite scary. There's one stretch immediately before the slip road for the M4, where the inside lane is limited to 30 and the others at 50. I need to use the slip road so I had to slow down to 30 - that is so scary when you have 32tonne lorries coming up behind you and having to change lanes to avoid you. I fail to see how that is safer than cruising round at a sensible speed.

And Dinie, I think the option to have the chat with Mr Plod only happens on special occasions. I don't think it gets offered around here :(. I don't mind being patronised if it means I don't get points on the licence!

14. Di

Di Active Member

Just a thought, I know my sister in law took that option when she got caught. Are you sure it was actually you that triggered off the camera? I tend to agree with what Ian said, there's supposed to be a tolerance level, so fingers crossed and keep smiling.
  15. HBB

HBB Active Member

Someone from my band got flashed (again, in the [50] of the M25!) but didn't get a ticket!

There's hope for you yet.
  16. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Thanks guys, you've cheered me up! Fingers crossed then......

17. julestools

julestools Active Member

The last time i got points for speeding was September 1989. I have not slowed down but i do keep my eyes open for cameras. I got caught doing 98 MPH on the A 14 near Cambridge but a nice little letter saying that my wife had gone into labour (and describing the road conditions) got me off. :) My daughter was born the next day. Several weeks later my wife received a phone call, asking about Emily, from the deputy chief constable (just checking up).
  18. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Don't think that excuse will work for me. Maybe I should have started planning for this 9 months ago ;)

19. Di

Di Active Member

I'm assuming no news is good news??
  20. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Haven't heard anything yet. I think they have to let me know within two or three weeks so there is still time for them to get me!