Growling Tuba - Help!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by timplover, May 8, 2009.

1. timplover

timplover New Member

Can anyone please assist? I Made the albeit short progression from Percussion to Baritone but a few short weeks ago and have been asked to play EEb Bass. Whilst I am enjoying myself it is very frustrating as I appear to be making a sound on particular notes (and when my chops get a little weary) that sounds not unlike a rottweiler protecting a scrap yard.....grrrrrrrr....... can anyone suggest anything I can do (do I need to tighten my embouchure?) or will this just get better with time and experience? I was a string player in my youth (many years ago) and it is v frustrating not being able to play, as written, the full piece of music! Oooh and we have a concert coming up too...... :oops:

Many thanks
  2. timplover

timplover New Member

oh yes I have been playing for approx one week.
  3. Mr Guinness

Mr Guinness Member

Get a grip of yourself and go back to percussion for goodness sake!! :tongue:
  4. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

time and Practise.

I have played Tuba for years and if I play someting smaller like Euph or trom it is sometimes hard to make the adjustment and takes me about half an hour to get back into Tuba Mode.
    keep playing the tuba and practise scales , long notes and you will become comfortable on the instrument, Don't expect to be an expert in one week.
  5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

^ As he said, plenty of long note practice, and try to produce as round a sound as possible. I tend to feel that, because basses are frequently stuck with relatively short notes and truncated writing, it takes even more effort to make sure that each note has a clear start, middle and end, to produce a good quality of sound (note, quality, not necassarily quantity!!!)
  6. It is pretty much normal for a beginning low brass player to have these problems. Usually this will gradually lesson with time and practice. Don't get in a hurry, and don't try to force it.
  7. timplover

timplover New Member

Thanks for that - I will keep practising (the only good thing with a wider bore is that I can practise for longer without my cheeks collapsing!). Though I fear my neighbours are getting a little fed up of "boom boom wuff boom"!
  8. silver surfer

silver surfer Member

long notes and lip slurs all diffrent dynamics too
  9. jmh3412

jmh3412 Member

The advice in previous posts is fine - the reason that you get a growling sond is that you are not pitching certain notes accurately enough.

This means that the tuba is undecided whether to play the higher or lower harmonic , and the resulting sound is the acoustic struggle as the instrument tries to find the best fit.

Long notes and concentrated listening should sort this out as muscle memory develops to center each note in thecorrect place.