Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Maestro, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Can anybody tell me how much a set of the Groves Dictionary of Music would cost please?

There doesn't seem to be any mention of a price on any of the sites that I have looked on.

Cheers in anticipation.....
  2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

3. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

...but ideally you'd be looking for the New Grove (1979?) or NG 2nd edition (2000?).

The latest version is available online for a subscription. I'd be tempted to go down that route if I didn't have it available at work.

Online really ought to be cheaper and the nice people at MacMillan will keep it (relatively) up to date. The 1953 edition is pretty useless for any serious purposes these days.

4. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians, 2nd edition (edited by Stanley Sadie and John Tyrrell) ISBN 0-19-517067-9 (29 volumes) is now £1,400 + p&p. Available from and OUP.

The publishers did a much cheaper paperback version of an earlier edition but I don't know if that is still available.
  5. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Thanks for that John, but I was really looking for the most up to date copy.
    I know that I can get it for a subscription, but I would like to have my own copy.
    At least they wont go down on me, unlike these bloomin' 'puters!