Discussion in ' User Reviews' started by bagpuss, Apr 10, 2005.

1. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

I had the very distinct plesure of attending a concert by the Grimethorpe colliery UK Coal band last night (Sat 9/4/05) at the Stanier Hall in Wem. What a superb performance!!

The program was very well varied and catered for all tastes, the playing was outstanding and overall the entertainment was brilliant (even if some of the jokes were older than the dinosaurs!). There were excellent solos from various members of the band including Bass Trombone, Euphonium, Solo Cornet as well as one of the Eb Bass players playing a 'cuckoo'.

If you get the chance to go and see these musicians in concert, GO!! It will be well worthwhile to see and hear music played by such a group of talented and professional musicians.

2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Glad to hear the concert went well, and I trust they made plenty of fuss over Roger's music ;)
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Mmmm! I didn't realise Elgar Howarth had arranged 'The Cuckoo' for brass band. Glad to see Grimey are still using their back catalogue. :)
  4. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

I don't know whether Grimethorpe were playing from their 'back catalogue' or not and to be honest I don't care either.

The music they played was entertaining, it was varied and it was played very, very well. I think if you look up dictionary definition of a very entertaining value for money concert then it will say pretty much just that.

Now, now PB. I don't know what you could possibly be inferring by that comment but I can safely say that none of Rogers music was played!!!

5. HBB

HBB Active Member

You sure Darren?
  6. zak

zak Member

What exactly are u implying brassneck??? :rolleyes:
  7. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Positive Ben!

Due to several complications regarding rehearsal times, a busy recording schedule and a full weekend of concerts unfortunately Richard Evans was unable to include the music in the programme. Although I am certainly not disappointed, as the overall quality of the Grimethorpe Band at this concert was absolutely stunning.
    The quality of playing, coupled with the entertainment value created for me, one of the best concerts I have had the privilege to attend.

Thanks guys

:clap: :clap:
  8. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Cracking concert, very entertaining musically and humourously (and the buffet was marvellous as always :clap: )

A little on the side of above freezing in the hall though :eek:
  9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... whatever you want to hear!!! :rolleyes:

Nah, ... what I meant by my statement was Elgar Howarth arranged most of the PJBE 'In Switzerland' album for brass band where he could. 'The Cuckoo' featured Fletch on a cuckoo whistle and I thought he missed this number out! And it's good to see that stuff from that era is getting another airing after all these years. Red Sky At Night would be a welcome return for me as well. Dreamtime would be a re-recording of the Grimethorpe Special album with Gary Howarth conducting ( ... of course, Fireworks would have the narration included!) :)

p.s., at least the sleevenotes for that LP woud not need updated! :rolleyes:
  10. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

Different piece I think. No cuckoo whistle involved!!!

11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

12. davidsait

davidsait Member

I saw them yesterday at Birmingham Symphony Hall - top stuff indeed.
  13. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

And an impressive turnout for a Sunday afternoon band concert - estimated at >1,400 !

Sadly I was lecturing next door at hall3 of the ICC and couldn't do more than listen to the last 2 items from outside the auditorium door ;-(