Grimethorpe Steal My Audience (probably)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Rapier, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Just my luck. I've been organising a Charity Concert, for the local RNLI, in our nearby Theatre for months. Getting two bands to join for the concert and running round like an idiot to sort joint rehearsal dates etc. And what do I find out last night? Grimethorpe are coming down to play in the same threatre 3 weeks later! That's my ticket sales gone then. Might as well cancel it.
  2. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Don't throw in the towel just yet. I wouldn't say you are in the heart of brass band country and there might well be alot of your locals who say "Grime...who?" Whereas I would hope that you and your co-band have got loyal followers who will support your concert, as well as those who would want to support the RNLI and see the proceeds go to a "good cause" rather than into a "foreign" band's coffers.

If I lived closer, I'd certainly support your efforts (although I just might go a see the "other" band, as well :rolleyes:
  3. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

We do alot of charity concerts in Buxton Pavilion Gardens some with the RNLI to, sometimes with the choir, and we have the Buxton Oprea House right next door that have Grimethorpe, Dyke and other performances. You will find there are two audiences at your concert, ones that have no interest in brass bands and have come to support the worthy cause or people who support and want to listen to your band. If you have a good reputation as a concert band, I cannot see it would make a blind bit of difference. Don't be disheartened!!
  4. The Wherryman

Doesn't this highlight another difference between the "top" bands and "lower" bands (and I include in the "lower" description non-competing bands - but with no disrespect). Or perhaps it's just me.

I regard my band as being known to, and appealing to, an audience within a certain distance of our "home". There are other bands in Norfolk, but they are quite widely spread, who undoubtedly have their own "core" audiences.

We would not, as a matter of course, look for jobs in those other bands' territory and I would not expect them to try to nick our audiences either. It does happen occasionally, when a specific invitation is received from an organiser, but it is not our general practice.

I can understand the argument that the public deserve the opportunity to hear a "top" band, and that they must tour to bring in the readies, but it seems to me that the scenario outlined by the OP can do damage to the so-called grass roots of banding, unless, of course the visiting band has been invited along to play a combined concert with a local band.

Or is it simply a difference between having a professional or an amateur approach to banding?

*Helmet and flak jacket donned :dunno*
  5. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Yeh, I'd agree. As it's for charity, that would hopefully be a draw on audience numbers.
  6. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Having booked tickets for Grimethorpe locally months ago, I would be surprised if their date hadn't been book a while back.
    I am assuming you did check with the venue if they had anything else similar planned when you booked the hall?

I have the same problem with an Orchestra which I chair - over the years we have battled to not clash with the local Pro Orchestra or LSO/LPO etc on tour with little success. Venues are interested in hire fees from both so don't volunteer info on conflicts! I do now have regular contact with my opposite number in the Brighton Phil so we avoid programming clashes but not dates!

What you can consider is to include a clause in your bookings that you are booking the hall subject to there being no other brass band event at that location within x weeks prior to or after your event. Not used that myself but have been impacted when others have had it in their booking.
  7. DannyCollin

DannyCollin Member

You've really got a thing against top section bands haven't you. What you going to do when/if your band gets there? resign so you can moan about it on here?
  8. leisa

leisa Active Member

aww, I feel like giving you a hug. I wouldn't cancel it, some people will probably prefer to go to a charity concert anyway...AND two bands for the price (or less) of one!
  9. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I'll take that Hug please Leisa! ;)

At least we are on first, that'll give Grimey something to follow. :) That's if they turn up, obviously (they cancelled last time they were due to play here, apparently.)
  10. David Mann

David Mann Member

In Rugby the 2 local bands promote and sell out their concerts, whereas I've sat in an audience of <100 for a famous band in the same town. Sounds like you've been doing the right things and I hope you have to turn 'em away on the night!
  11. The Wherryman

You don't know me, so please do not presume to know how I feel about top section bands.

However, some people think we're all in the same "brass banding family". There's a world of difference between Grimedyke Top Band and Puddleditch Social Bottomoftheleague Band.
  12. DannyCollin

DannyCollin Member

I'm not presuming, its called ''reading between the lines''

So come on then, whats your gripe with top section bands? failed audition? too much fun? or maybe just a hint of jealousy??
  13. The Wherryman

Same difference :rolleyes:

Oh, dear - have I touched a nerve? Can't you understand - I haven't got a gripe with top section bands, so there's no point in trying to wind me up over something that doesn't exist. Is that plain enough for you? Sorry to spoil your fun - go fish in another pool ;)
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  14. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

Out of interest, what have you decided to do. It would be a shame that you had to cancel.:(
  15. Blossom

Blossom Member

Don't know when or where your concert is but try looking on the bright side - if your concert is 3 weeks after the Grimethorpe concert take advantage of this and make sure you have plenty of your posters up at the venue, ask if you can put flyers on the seats or stand and give out flyers as folk arrive. You never know it could work to your advantage.
    Let us know how you go on. Hope you raise lots of dosh for RNLI.
  16. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

It's 3 weeks before and am still deciding whether to go ahead or not. Mostly because I'm not sure exactly what band will be available! It's like trying to herd fish, people say yes, then don't come to the rehearsals. I am getting to the stage where brass banding is begining to lose it's appeal.
  17. Blossom

Blossom Member

Sorry - my mistake.

Get the publicity going - after all your's is for charity and an excellent cause - pester local press and radio to feature your concert - stress it's for RNLI - all proceeds to charity etc. etc.

Get onto the band and tell them your committed to doing this concert.

Don't get downhearted - if you don't raise huge amount, something is better than nothing at all.

Good Luck