Grimethorpe Sponsorship

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by timbloke, Mar 13, 2006.

1. timbloke

timbloke Member

Don't know how long this has been in the news but BBC Look North carried a story tonight about UK Coal cutting sponsorship of Grimey at the end of the year.

Report is here (about 7min 40secs into bulletin).

Comments? Is this the first you've heard of it (was the first I had)? Implications on the wider banding movement when the Champions and 3rd place at Yorkshire lose major sponsorship within a couple of years?
  2. Seems unlikely that "...the band could fold before 2007..."

Surely it can't be a big shock - how does UK Coal make any money when there are no mines? I'm sure they'll get by...

The report also mentioned Brased Off being shown at the Braford Film Festival - tonight - how useful... trust Look North!
  3. chiephonium

chiephonium Member

blah blah blah... old news...
  4. dyl

dyl Active Member

Thanks for that extremely enlightening post Andy. :rolleyes:
  5. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Knowing one or two people connected to Grimethorpe, I'd heard they were going to lose their sponsorship at the end of the year.

However, I'm sure something will turn up for them, they seem to have been pretty lucky since the closure of Grimethorpe Colliery, more so than any other 'pit' band that I know of.
  6. Steve

Steve Active Member

Are Thoresby Colliery not UK Coal sponsored too? As for impliations I dont think any of us really know.
  7. Rob Hanson

Rob Hanson New Member

UK Coal withdrew sponsorship from Thoresby Colliery Band about 3-4 years ago. We are still attached to the colliery which is still running but receive no financial support.
  8. starperformer

starperformer Member

Yes, they're so lucky, it's nothing to do with talent
  9. Steve

Steve Active Member

What a fantastically on topic first post :D

:hi to themouthpiece Rob and well done on Sunday
  10. Rob Hanson

Rob Hanson New Member

thanks for that. We are quite chuffed
  11. Hornted

Hornted Member

Guess its welcome to the real world then, many of us have coped without sponsorship and still achieved real success in all sections. Just have the slight problem of very little in the way of funds and both bands at the finals in the Autumn. Guess we will cope, just be a very busy summer. Just imagine the earning potential of bands like Grimethorpe, CD sales and concert fees alone!

Melanie Cooper
  12. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

Grimethorpe must be due a win at the Nationals then. Look what happened the last time they lost their sponsor! And by the way, in case anyone thinks I'm being facetious, I thought they were absolutely amazing at the nationals last year too.
  13. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Not quite sure if you're being facetious but just in case you are....

Nobody is questioning their talent. I have great admiration for a lot of the players that I know and for those that I don't know! I wasn't indicating they were 'lucky' with their results. Just lucky in finding sponsorship! And let's be honest here, if money was not an issue for a lot of other good bands, they could afford to bring in the best!
  14. starperformer

starperformer Member

There is absolutely nothing lucky about it. They are one of about 4 bands in the country that sponsors might actually hope to get some value out of in terms of local and national recognition.

What is lucky is bands who happen to have sentimental local sponsors pouring money into what is often, commercially, a lost cause.
  15. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I don't really think luck is involved really...If you're a band like Grimey, you get the sponsors because you're regarded amongst the Worlds best and you don't become that with luck...and if you're the likes of Hade Edge I'm sure it takes a mammoth amount of hard work to convince your sponsor (and a sponsor that doesn't insist on having their name included in the band name at that) that the band is a worth while venture to put money in to.
  16. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

I would say that for the vast majority of these bands their sponsorship is deserved through hours and hours of writing letters as well as meeting and pleading with company directors and entrepreneurs. If that is luck, well you make your own luck.

I dont think that any band in this land at this present time is likely to catch the eye of a major company. Some bands do very well but my impression is that the bigger companies who have put in a lot of sponsorship tend to have somebody on the board who is interested or involved in the banding movement. Not all though.

Good luck to Grimey in finding a new sponsor (like the rest of us).