"Grimethorpe Colliery Band in danger of folding" ?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by iancwilx, Jan 3, 2013.

1. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

On BBC Look North News today ~ "Grimethorpe Colliery Band in danger of folding due to lack of sponsorship" ~ Let's hope they work something out.

I do think that the days of big financial backing for bands is finally coming to a close.

Whereas I don't want to see any bands folding, perhaps getting back to the true ethos and spirit of the "Movement" may be no bad thing for our amateur hobby.

What do you think ?

~ Mr Wilx

2. boourns

boourns Member

3. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

Im sure with all those 100% committed players, they can sort it out in no time, subs, caroling outside supermarkets (may be a bit late for that one), marches, and maybe even the odd sponsored sit in a bath of baked beans by the conductor are all possibilities

4. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

I think Grimey have a very shrewd management team that knows how to get results! I recall a similar instance some years ago when Heinz announced they would be stopping production of their salad cream due to falling sales. Result - within days sales had picked up as people rushed out to buy the ghastly stuff after being reminded of what a great product it was! And it's still on the supermarket shelves to this day!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  5. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

It was the "Amatuer" band that mildly amused me.

6. Sonorous

Sonorous New Member

like button pressed

7. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

Elite top flight banding has never had the true ethos and spirit of amateurism you speak of, although they may have to learn to adopt it if they want to survive like you say.
    Another example that the status quo as regards English banding makes our future as a "movement" bleak. Banding administrators locally and nationally should be ensuring the future of our 'crown jewel' bands like Grimey by creating a situation where there is a queue of talented youngsters wanting to experience being a member of bands such as these. instead they seem content to run a contest for a private company, which bands like Grimey are bankrupting themselves to support.
    Not tenable!

8. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Perhaps Kapitol will sponsor them with the revenue gained from their new registration process?

I'll Get my Coat!

9. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Ha ! Ha ! ~ I hope they've oiled the lifeboat fittings ready for a sudden "Abandon Ship" rush ~ Will the cry be "Make way for Principals and Conductors first" ?

MR Wilx

10. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Maybe 'Brassed off 2' could be the answer?

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Grimethorpe Colliery Band
    BBC
    Wilx
    Look North News
    Grimethorpe Colliery
  12. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

13. bumper-euph

bumper-euph Member

I like that.....:clap::clap::clap:..........very topical.........could also be very true !!....(probably )

14. RickD

RickD New Member

I'm not trying to be controversial but maybe it is time the UK looked at Norway and went amateur - players do not get paid, no exceptions.

Simply put Grimey need to cut costs - if they are in the situation they say they are in and they need sponsorship of 50-90k per year (mentioned on Look North) just to survive they have a very poor and to be frank flawed business model.

15. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

But surely nobody gets paid to play nowadays....

16. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

17. Ali

Ali Member

Not quite true if they only did 3 contests in the last year. Have a look at the charities commission. Their accounts are there for all to see along with most of the other top bands. It's free and makes for some very interesting reading.

18. RickD

RickD New Member

So, if nobody is paid (MD not included), when they do 60 concerts a year (as stated on LN). Why do they need 50-90k to survive?

It is naive to believe nobody is paid.

19. Adamskied

Adamskied Member

Justed looked at it, cant believe how much is spent on players.

And us bands dont pay players....yeah right.

20. euphalogy

euphalogy Member

Welcome to the real world.
    Park jobs etc etc. £50-90k a year to survive.
    Wow! Does the new registry cost that much to join?

21. Archer

Archer Member

As mentioned earlier - Grimethorpe will be just fine. It's all just marketing.

I'd like to hope that it would drive the message home to top flight bands that buying players is only viable as long as someone is willing to pay for it - but it won't.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Grimethorpe Colliery Band
    BBC
    Wilx
    Look North News
    Grimethorpe Colliery