Grimethorpe at St John's, Smith Square, September 19th

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by James Yelland, Jul 30, 2009.

1. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Grimethorpe are playing St John's, Smith Square, London on September 19th. Can anyone advise on whether this concert will consist of major works, or will it be a programme of lighter numbers? Thanks.

2. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

The advert in the latest issue of The Brass Herald (issue 29, August to September 2009) gives Philip Biggs' phone numbers so I'm guessing that he'll have some more information.

3. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Courtesy of the SJSS website:

Saturday 19 September 7.30pm
    - booking opens 3 August -

GRIMETHORPE COLLIERY BAND
    James Gourlay conductor
    Ashley Wass piano

Brass meets Ivory
    Hall Death or Glory
    Barry Brass on Fire
    Hesketh Danceries
    Huber Titan’s Progress
    Guerby Cabaret Concerto
    Stravinsky arr. Farr The Firebird
    £20.00 / £15.00 / £10.00
    (concessions £2 discount)

4. James Yelland

Durr. Never occurred to me to look up the venue's own website. Looks quite an interesting programme - possibly worth a train ride to the smoke for an evening. Thanks for your help.

5. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Nor me, doh!

6. James Yelland

Incidentally, isn't the chap who is flavour of the month at the moment called Pallhuber, not Huber? Do we think perhaps someone (not Mr Green) is confusing him with Paul Huber, who wrote a few pieces for brass band back in the 70's and 80's?

I really must get out more.

7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

It is Pallhuber, but Gareth has simply copied the listing given on the SJSS website. Should be a good concert - getting my ticket when I'm there for the National Youth Wind Orchestra concert next month.

8. James Yelland

Yes ,I know, that's why I was careful to exonerate Mr G of any blame in my last post!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  9. James Yelland

If 4BR is to be believed, the mysterious composer Guerby is actually the less mysterious and more well known Martin Ellerby.

Guerby = Ellerby
    Huber = Pallhuber

Are there any more surprises to come I wonder? It sounds like the programme was dictated down a poor quality phone line after a heavy lunchtime session!