Grimethorpe Announcement

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Stracathro, Jul 9, 2012.

1. katieeuph

katieeuph Member

Well, if playing the Olympic Anthem with the LSO when the Olympic flag is raised doesn't warrant a big announcement, I don't know what does (and it sounded pretty amazing,too)
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I can't remember Grimey's name being mentioned during the anthem and wasn't this pre-recorded?
  3. stevetrom

stevetrom Active Member

I would but your profile doesn't say what band you play for.

Looking at your comments on this thread you seem to have been pretty negative about a brass band being involved in the biggest event in the UK for about 50 years, why?
  4. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Member

I would just call it realistic as opposed to negative, its just I find it hard biting my tongue when I see how excited some people seem to get over some of the things posted on here. Well done to the band i say, but people on here seemed to be under the impression the band was going to be intoduced and all the members interviewed and so on and so on.

Banding unfortunately is a minority hobby, and it will continue to be mores the pitty, just get used to it.

As for Banding, I dont play any more, does that mean Im not allowed on here ?
  5. stevetrom

stevetrom Active Member

that's going to make me paying to hear your next performance a little tricky ! ;-)

of course not, it's a discussion forum, all opinions are equally valid
  6. Usual story. We can't bear the success of others. Well done Grimey. Already the most famous brass band in the world.
  7. Mark Bowater

Mark Bowater Member

Without any disrespect to the playing members of the band, and as a former proud member, cannot help thinking that Danny Boyle only chose them based on the left of centre political slant he wanted to portray. Marching behind an NUM banner was cliche at best, ( and I can barely make that out in the few long distance photo's taken from within the crowd, as there was , as we know, no coverage of the band at all on the BBC ) and I mean that respectfully with an understanding and recognition of the strife and hardship endured by the community at the time of the miners strike. The message pre-ceremony delivered to our very small amateur hobby through the management of the band was, in my opinion, over the top, as far as the reality of the actual involvement in the ceremony. (Albeit I can only but imagine as a player in the band, it must have been an amazing experience.)
  8. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

I am sure that some of the members of the band would have taken photos and video footage (probably wasn't allowed), and this could be uploaded to Youtube, under a surrpetious title, or the band website, etc...................

IMO, the fact that a brass band was approached says more about the brass band movement. Due to the locale of the Olympic Stadium, it could quite easily have been a steel drum band. (Nothing against them, apart from the tinny, bangy sound they make). As it was a group of musicians, were chosen, based on the plight that the commumity endured, and beat, to rise from the ashes of the British Coal Industry. Whether they were visible or not, is academic. Whether you knew they were there, or not, is academic. They were there, and played/marcel marceau'd for want of a better word, and it will go down in the annals, as a highlight in the history of Grimethorpe. This should be celebrated.

I have got over the fact that they didn't ask me dep, and hope that it didn't take them to long to get out of the stadium, as they amounted to 0.01% of the total expected to be in or around the Olympic Stadium last night.

Good on Grimethorpe for accepting the invitation, and being there, for a once in a lifetime opportunity. If you guys get a call for the closing ceremony, I still only live 20 minutes away, if you need a bass dep ;)
  9. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Member

Thats very kind !

Absolutely rediculous accusation to make ! I said well done to the Band, but they just proved to be more famous in the band circle, tell you what, when you go to the corner shop next time, ask the lady on the till "what she thought of Grimethorpe) ? she wont have a clue !!

Thanks, thats exactly what Ive been trying (unseccessfuly) to type!
  10. Sonorous

Sonorous New Member

I think the only problem here is the matter of unfortunate hype by the 'marketing team'. The inclusion of Grimethorpe is a great thing, both for bands, and for individuals. it was very nice on a personal note to know that friends were performing on the world stage.

It's not the bands fault that the BBC didn't show or credit them.

The only issue is that it was billed by Grimethorpe as securing them a "a worldwide profile.". Even if they had been billed and shown correctly, it still wouldn't really have achieved this (although they can at least now bill themselves as performing at the Olympics opening ceremony which may have some marketing clout outside brass bands). This was a mis-placed bit of spin, particularly in hindsight. But it isn't the fault of the individuals, just that whoever spun the story from the band got a little carried away.
  11. covkiddownunder

covkiddownunder New Member

To be fair, it's my understanding that the band were informed that there would be considerable visibility scripted into the BBC coverage, and the fact that the BBC didn't give the expected exposure came as a huge shock and disappointment to Rick Smith of Underworld (the composer), when he was told about this by members of the band earlier today.
    From what I can gather the band made the announcement based upon information given directly from the top, ie. Danny Boyle and his creative team
  12. covkiddownunder

covkiddownunder New Member

Had there been the coverage the band were told to expect, there certainly would have been the global awareness that the announcement suggested...
    Unfortunately as bands are so often reminded, the BBC will do what it pleases and we have no control over that.
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

14. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Nicely put...
  15. Sonorous

Sonorous New Member

Not to the level that the initial marketing put (ie gaining them a "Worldwide Profile"). We all know that only headline acts would gain any genuine increased profile. The dancing teams that were concentrated on, the small players that were shown didn't achieve any genuine worldwide profile as no one really remembers who they were after. Only the big headline acts that make the papers achieve this in those events.

Basically Grimethorpe's marketing team gave the spin that this would achieve something along the lines of River Dance in Eurovision.

It would only give the band the ability to state that they had performed at the Olympic Games. It wouldn't have suddenly gained them what they believed of "ensuring that the Grimethorpe Colliery Band name is known worldwide".

HOWEVER it was very big news for the band, and I can understand this ferver and spin. It's just that it's the type of spin that will always receive negative reaction when it doesn't achieve what it was hyped to do.

As it was, the BBC removed even the exposure that rightly should have excited the band. But it didn't remove the chance for band to suddenly become a world player in the way it was spun.

Edit (And it's an important point from my point of view). This doesn't take away from the fact that it was a fantastic thing for the band to be involved in. And more bands should be striving to take part in this sort of thing. Let's just not give it some god-like status of shooting bands into the stratosphere.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  16. Matthew

Matthew Member

+1 That! ^ :)
  17. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Grimethorpe and Sandy Smith get a mention in the Opening Ceremony Media Kit and the Olympic Hymn which was arranged and played by them is getting plenty of air time on the Chris Evans Radio 2 Breakfast show
  18. dickiesplitz

dickiesplitz New Member

As I understand it, the BBC has no control over the pictures as they are provided by a third party (as is all the olympic coverage).

That said as soon as I heard the Olympic hymn you could tell it was them (pre-recorded or not).
  19. simonium

simonium Member

I like the conspiracy better than this logic and reason. ;-)
  20. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Irrespective of the marketing side of things, I was more than a tad disappointed that Grimethorpe didn't get the same exposure as some of the other participants - even the maypole dancers and the clouds got more coverage! Even as an ardent Foden's fan I was genuinely looking forward to being able to see and point out the players that I know personally, or recognise from comps/concerts - I recognised their playing when it came on, but my ears only honed in on this because I knew they were going to be there and, like many others I would assume, was keeping my eyes and ears peeled for them. Brass bands as are much a part of the Great British heritage as cricket, so a real shame we didn't see them :(