Grimethorpe Announcement

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Stracathro, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Blades4Ever

Blades4Ever Member

Maybe they have recruited 5 women into the ranks! :)

2. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

"The world famous Grimethorpe Colliery band have been chosen to play at the London Olympics 2012 opening ceremony.An estimated billion people across the world are expected to tune in to watch the ceremony on July 27, which is the brainchild of Oscar-winning film director Danny BoyleFormed in 1917, the Grimethorpe Colliery brass band, earned nationwide recognition as the inspiration for the 1995 film Brassed Off, featuring Ewan McGregor, which followed the struggles of a fictional colliery band, Grimley, after the village pit had been closed down.Grimethorpe have already chalked up memorable performances at the Carnegie Hall in New York and Sydney Opera House. Now they are set for a forgettable stint at the Olympics."this is from some Yorkshire paper after a 2 second google search. I'm really hoping there is some more exciting news than this to justify all the secrecy and 4br hype. Maybe this will continue the good work done for the image of brass bands in Brassed Off by featuring the conductor cycling to rehearsal in uniform, or a live ferret race while they play the Floral dance or William tell. I would like to see a man kept in a box and subjected to 20 performances of the same piece (which is ether too hard, too easy, or boring) before being vilified as a deaf old idiot for a few weeks on-line as a fair representation of our nations finest amateur musical movement - but I don't suppose the opening ceremony will be long enough for this!

3. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

If they need a dep I only live about 10 minutes away :mad:

4. John Brooks

John Brooks Active Member

They are competing in the Marathon as a group while performing William Tell throughout the race!!!

5. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

Do the Daily Telegraph know what brass banders are?????

6. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

In that case I withdraw my offer!

7. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Perhaps just one important one !

~ Mr Wilx (Speculating)

8. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

9. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Well spotted sir, and well done to the Barnsley News. The report is dated 25th June, two full weeks before the 4BR report. But then, Grimethorpe have taken a bit of stick from various people in the 4BR letters column in recent times, so I can understand it if the band chose to favour a local rag over the band press in announcing this news.

The 4BR report carries an image of an Abbey Road roadsign. I do hope they haven't been sold a pup....

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  10. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

I wonder what their fee is for this gig!!!!!!

11. Oodle Bugler

Oodle Bugler Member

Brilliant - I doff my cap sir....

12. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Member

And joe bloggs still wont notice the difference in quality between Grimethorp and the local comprehensives band !

good luck to them though.

13. Damocles

Damocles Member

Wonder whats on the programme:- Florentiner, Londonderry Air, McArthur Park, Death or Glory .....................??

14. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

15. euph77

euph77 Member

not any more!

16. classicbrass

classicbrass Member

If this is true, could it be that they will be sat somewhere in Danny Boyle's 'Green and Pleasant land' set representing 'it's grim up north' and total exposure will be limited to around two or three seconds as the cameraman pans past, frantically trying to get everybody taking part in the pagent on screen?

17. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

Maybe a recording deal with a big label to do a double cd entitled "Brassed off meets Hogarth Lear".

18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

19. simonium

simonium Member

20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Of course there are no paid players in the band movement ... never have been ... if you say so! ;O)