Gretton Silver Band, Non-Contesting, Vacancies

Discussion in 'Recruitment Corner' started by David Mann, Jan 28, 2008.

1. David Mann

David Mann Member

Edit: for current vacancies and contact details, please see most recent posts

We are looking for a Soprano Player or a player of another instrument who is willing to become one (I did it having played Trom / Euph / Bari for years!)

Who are we? Gretton are one of the oldest continually operating brass bands in the country. We are about 3rd / 4th section standard. We don't want to start contesting, we have too much fun playing our choice of music.

Where are you? Gretton is 5 mins from Corby, 1/2 hour from Peterborough, 20 mins from Market Harborough.

When do you rehearse? Once a week, in our own bandroom, Thursday 7.45 to 9.30.

What if I'm interested in the band and don't want to play sop? Because we don't contest we can accommodate extra players. Get in touch and find out more!

How do I find out more? PM me or Lloyd Preston from this site, or through our website (in my signature).

2. David Mann

David Mann Member

Update: We are still looking for a sop. We've also promoted one of 2nd cornet players to front row, so there's room for you if you fancy a go on the back row. If you play another instrument and fancy coming along, we'll make room. Rehearsal Thursday 7.45 - 9.15 in our band room in Gretton.

3. David Mann

David Mann Member

Still Looking!

We're still looking for a Sop player, and would also welcome a baritone player. If you're interested and play something else, get in touch. we'll make room. We don't contest so no pressure to register with us. Those in the band who want to contest are registered with other bands. We concentrate on giving enjoyable quality concerts. Trip to France planned for next spring.

PM me if interested.

4. David Mann

David Mann Member

Cornet/Sop, Bass or Baritone

See previous posts for rehearsal details except rehearsal time is Thursday 7:45 - 9:15

We're still looking for a sop player. Bb cornet players also welcome.

One of our Bb bass players is willing to move to baritone but will need a replacement, but whatever you play, if you're interested we will try to accommodate you.

As mentioned in previous posts, we are a non-contesting band. We like to make good music and give good concerts. Since becoming MD I have found the members to be friendly and welcoming. We avoid attitudes and politics. We like a drink in the pub after band!

5. David Mann

David Mann Member

Sop or Cornet, Bass, Trip to France

We're still looking for a sop player, and another cornet player or two would be handy. We will be going to France in May so if you want to try us out, talk to us about coming along . We could accommodate another bass player of either EEb or BBb, but whatever you play we'll make you welcome.

We don't contest and don't intend to. We are striving to put on good quality concerts to appreciative audiences. I aim to push the band musically while keeping everything fun!

PM me if interested.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  6. David Mann

David Mann Member

Got sop, still would like bass

See our other posts for who we are and what we do^

I'm glad to say a sop player has agreed to join us who's not only a great player but is also a nice bloke and a TMPer.:clap:

If you're a bass player of either flavour and would like to help / lead our section, please get in touch.

We could also accommodate a cornet player or two and another baritone.

7. David Mann

David Mann Member

See our other posts for who we are and what we do^

Since our last update we have recruited another cornet player and a 2nd baritone. Still room for another cornet player,and if you're a bass player of either flavour and would like to help / lead our section, please get in touch.
    If your instrument isn't listed, please still enquire - we don't contest so we can be a bit more flexible on numbers. If you haven't played for a while and fancy another go, you could either join our training band or come along to a Saturday morning workshop (not every Saturday).
    PM me if you want any more details.

8. David Mann

David Mann Member

We would welcome another back row cornet player (or two). We are a non-contesting band that enjoy making music. As MD I try to keep rehearsals interesting and music challenging. Our players seem to enjoy what we do and rehearsals are well attended. We could still accommodate another bass player - possibly to lead the section.

9. David Mann

David Mann Member

Back Row Cornets

The band are still on a high after our trip to France but would still like to welcome a couple of back row cornet players. We're handily placed for Corby, Market Harborough, Uppingham and Peterborough. Rehearsals Thursdays 7.45 - 9.15. Training band also available . Players of other instruments welcome to apply, especially bass players.
    We try to play enjoyable music and have a good social life. Don't apply if you don't like cakes and / or beer!
    PM me or see our website for more details.

10. David Mann

David Mann Member

In addition to the players wanted in the previous post, we have just purchased a glockenspiel and xylophone. Any tuned percussionists out there? Or perhaps a brass player prepared to double?

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Gretton
    Non-Contesting
    Gretton Silver Band
    Soprano Player
    Trom
  12. David Mann

David Mann Member

We have just finished our summer season and the work has started for our autumn concert. We have vacancies for a couple of cornet players, positions dependant on ability / ambition, and a bass player, possibly to become section leader / soloist. Other players always welcome as we're not restricted by contest numbers. As MD I try to push both the band and individual players musically yet keep everything fun.
    We're handily placed for Corby, Market Harborough, Northampton, Uppingham and Peterborough. Rehearsals Thursdays 7.45 - 9.15. Training band also available.

PM me or see our website for more details.

13. David Mann

David Mann Member

Gretton Silver Band - THE place to be on Thursday evenings. Could still do with another tuba player (EEb or BBb) and a couple of cornet players. As we don't contest we can accommodate other players as well. We work hard and aim for a high musical standard but at the same time enjoy a good social side.
    We're within easy reach of Corby, Leicester, Northampton, Uppingham and Peterborough.
    We have a thriving training band that also rehearses on Thursdays.

14. David Mann

David Mann Member

Still looking for that tuba player (EEb or BBb) and a couple of cornet players. As we don't contest we can accommodate other players as well. We work hard and aim for a high musical standard but at the same time enjoy a good social side. Why not get in touch, come to a rehearsal, dep for us and see what we're like?
    We're within easy reach of Corby, Leicester, Northampton, Uppingham and Peterborough.
    We have a thriving training band that also rehearses on Thursdays.