Gregson for 2008 Open

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by KMJ Recordings, May 11, 2008.

1. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

4 Bars Rest story

IMO it's about time he reappeared....I always was a fan :clap:
  2. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

Sounds great, good to see that new works are being written, can't wait to hear it.
  3. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

is there a reason for his self imposed 'exile'?
  4. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

There's another test piece called Rococo Variations, by Allan Street I believe. Good piece too.
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Very interesting indeed, since the last projects I remember him being involved in were adding a couple of variations to Laudate Dominum and the joint project with other composers for 'Birthday Variations For Michael (Tippett)' for the 2005 RNCM Festival Of Brass. Maybe clues thereabouts?
  6. Sonny Barker

Sonny Barker Member

He wrote it in the early 90's for the Dutch Nationals, but said at the time that he had the accoustic of the RAH in mind. Unfortunately at 18 minutes, it was never used; they needed the contest to be over in time for the gala concert. Robert Simpson's 'Energy' was selected in 91 - a releative snip at 9 minutes. (Hence the little barb in his press release to 4br about the Open being the best contest!)

Gregson was wounded by this apparent snub (the dedication to Eric Ball has further connotations with Kensington) and although the piece was used at the Regionals in 1993, he stated that it was unlikely that he would write for a contest again.

The truly exciting aspect of this news is that he's learned from his past disappointment and returned to the contest arena (I hope!) on his terms; he will write what he likes on as large a canvas as he sees fit, unfettered by what the promoters want.
  7. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Tchaikovsky, arr. Allan Street, as I recall.

2nd section areas 1995
    Wantage 3rd and promoted :)
  8. Excellent news that Gregson is back in this manner.
  9. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Not quite true, I don't think. As I remember, it is a set of original variations by Allan Street, based indeed on the same theme as the Tchaikovsky, but not a transcription of Tchaik.'s variations.
  10. MoominDave

Some of them just happen to be note-for-note the same as some of Tchaikovsky's, which I later heard on the radio.
    I don't think I'm making this up - but then it was half a lifetime ago...
  11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

The theme may reflect the style of the Rococo period, more akin to Rameau, Scarlatti or Couperin rather than what Tchaikovsky used. We'll find out when it appears.
  12. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

In addition to the above, I also understand that he had offered a contest version of "Trumpets of the angels" and was disappointed no-one had taken it up. Certainly looking forward to the new work :clap:
  13. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

he did that for fodens centenury concert, but i think it was a re-arrangment of a wind band peice and not a original work as such
  14. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

I can only add that this is really great news for all of us. Much as I admire the notion of getting 'outsiders' to write for major contests, this policy has not been an unqualified success. It's great to hear that Prof. Gregson will apply his intimate knowledge of brass bands to another major project.

Looking forward to it.
  15. MoominDave

How long does one have to exile oneself for to regain 'outsider' status? :)
  16. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

273 years ;)
  17. This is fantastic news. I love Gregson. I wonder how it will compare to his older compositions. I'm very excited to hear it.
  18. dizzy068

dizzy068 Member

I imagine that being Principal of the RNCM has been eating into his composing time??
  19. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Cant wait to here this work by Gregson. A pity he self-imposed exile. Professor Gregson, dont be discouraged for writing for writing for brass bands again.